Monday 7 November 2022

Rain, and pumpkins!

 We had a windy day on Saturday, and a storm rolled in. Sunday morning it was 17 C., when highs are usually just under 10 C. and it is surreal. Our Ottawa family ate dinner out in their solarium! Highly unusual for November.

☔Ontario
Sunday morning grand total of 5 mm.

The winds did some damages to hydro wires. 



British Columbia
British Columbia had another atmospheric river, not as bad as the one that hit last year. You can see where they had snow in the mountains.

It's interesting that B.C. Hydro doesn't list a total of outages. The CBC news stated 330,000 without power. Jesse's in-laws in Surrey were out, which they posted on Facebook Saturday afternoon. 

We carried on. I did some work in the yard. I think my gardens are done. I put out red ribbons and my Remembrance Day wreath. Cyclists, and motorcycles were out all day, roaring by. The Canada flag, designed by the late Curtis Wilson, has been hung.

I don't mind 🍁fall chores, but when I have to redo them... The wind uncovered JB's water fountain. I had to use a towel to get the water out, and realign the tarp.

It's been so warm (for November!) that the bugs are out again. They were feasting on the pumpkins.





The clouds rolled in.

It was fun down at the trailcam. I took two big pumpkins down there over two days, and split them open. By the next day ALL of the seeds were gone! 

I know who was responsible!
 

squirrel blue jay from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.



🕰 I hope you coped with time change, if you had to go through that ordeal! I woke at 3 a.m., feeling as if it was 4, and didn't get back to sleep on Sunday. I tried to have a nap, but that didn't happen. We had to turn clocks back an hour.

The cats were quite happy in the Muskoka Room. It was 24 C.

Monday morning I slept until 3 a.m., thought I'd get up and get a drink of water to try reset myself. Standing up, I could see the motion detector light was on down below. A fine looking coyote was right out back. They are beautiful animals. It was looking for frogs or mice friends in the grass. I held my breath. Nutmeg was hunkered down watching. Cinnamon jumped off of the table onto the Muskoka Room floor, and landed with a loud thump. Off went Coyote! Despite the excitement, I did manage to sleep in until 5:30! 

16 comments:

Tom said...

...we had a bit of rain early yesterday, we could use some more.

Christine said...

Record breaking temps this past weekend wow. Your eggs in a could looked good I visited that post. Good idea breaking the pumpkins open for the wildlife.

Anvilcloud said...

Crazy weather, and it looks like we are going to hot the 60s for a few days later this week. (I read the forecast in F in response to an American blogger. That's what> -- 16C? Let me check. Alexa says I was just about right on.)

Barbara Rogers said...

We need to stay at one level of time, for sleep, eating and productive activities...not changing at a whim of governments. Groan. I remember when it used to change before Halloween...that a was a big mistake, and yet it took years to be corrected!

Olga said...

The wind reached us during the night Saturday and howled until Sunday morning. Sunday's temp got to 24C -- and sunny. Hardly seems like November! (except for the early dark)

RedPat said...

I sat out on the deck and read yesterday. Nice for November.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

we had some wild rain yesterday. not sure what happened. i know we need more. but it was so fun. the temperature were warmer than most November times. take care this week. enjoy it! ( ;

Elephant's Child said...

The pumpkins are certainly being enjoyed by all manner of critters.

Nancy J said...

The squirrel and the pumpkin, I can almost see that smile of glee as he feasted.!!!Daylight saving, now I am retired it doesn't matter so much, but in earlier years, a real problem to adjust to time frames and get out of the door on time for work!!!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn ... this weather is very strange indeed .. but I have all my bulbs in and a lot of my garden chores done so I am thankful that I can get more done tomorrow hopefully. The wind is annoying though ... trying to get some of the leaves up is going to be crazy but I'll leave ? that mostly to John.
I got a kick out of your trail cam footage .. we have squirrels and Blue Jays battling it out for peanuts here (John's hobby ? haha)
My friend in the interior of BC sent footage a a fair sized Black bear in her back garden which was covered in snow, the garden that is .. she said cougars and coyotes are around as well. I guess I live in a very quiet neighborhood ? haha

Hena Tayeb said...

It has been very unseasonably warm here as well.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Time ch8anges can be so distracting to our bodies. It always takes me a week to get on track. Those pumpkins aren't going to last very long at this rate.

Red said...

Fall weather can be variable. Cold air warm air mixing and all that!

William Kendall said...

Time change is always disorienting.

River said...

I sometimes wonder what happens to all the thousands of pumpkins that are grown for Halloween, but don't get used. Do they all just sit in the fields and rot? Are they useful as stock food?

Rain said...

The time change was actually welcomed here...I needed an extra hour of sleep! ☺ Coyotes don't come too close to the houses around here, but then they have all of that land in the blueberry fields. Look at all of those pumpkins! We had summer weather here yesterday!