Sunday 20 November 2022

Lake Effect Snow!

We've been having about a centimetre of snow every day for the past few days. That Lake Effect Snow is relentless. Poor Buffalo was hammered. Peeps are reporting 1.9m (77")of snowfall. The winds pick up the moisture from the warmish Great Lakes, until deep winter when they cool off. Last night it was about 3 cm.


In honour of the season, I put lights up Friday. The timer isn't working properly, but I didn't have my reading glasses with me to figure it out. I ordered get a new one, like the others that go on at dusk, with a sensor. My personal assistant/shopper is still laid up with his back issues, poor man, although he is improving. 

Cinnamon helped me, as I went back and forth from the shed to the front yard. He waited for me up the tree.
I rewarded him with walkies.

 

Cinnamon walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

As I sit blogging, in the early morning dark, I can see the lights of the snowplow going by. It is a sight to behold. Snow tires go on Dec. 1st, and while our driveway was slick, the roads were fine.

I went into town, to fetch an order, and wanted to thank the drivers, but I thought I ought not wave, as he was watching where he was going!

snowplow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The order I fetched included a new downspout. Every year I switch up the downspout from going into the water barrel, and into the goldfish pond, back to the drain spout. It was a bit frozen, the old one just cracked and fell apart. Another chore off the list.

The new camera captured both the snowfall, and the alarm going off! 

Work done, I headed downstairs around 5:30 to fetch something from the freezer for dinner. Look who was there. It was good exercise, as I initially spotted him, ran back upstairs to get the video camera, and ran back down. He was a bit surprised to see me.

 

oregano from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Caitlin was in Punta Cana, DR, for a week with her friends. She posted a lovely video of the waves coming in. Nov. 18, 2022. She came home late Saturday night.

17 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Although it remains only rain here, it must be admitted that the temperatures have dropped several notches this weekend after an unseasonably mild spell. Oregano is a handsome cat! YAM xx

Tom said...

...we were spared!

Gaelyn said...

I forgot all about all that snow and became mesmerized by the waves. Sigh...

RedPat said...

Oregano is a good looking cat.

eileeninmd said...

Oregano should come inside, warm up his paws.

Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

Elephant's Child said...

Glad that JB's back is improving. Look after yourself too.

Lowcarb team member said...

We have been reading about the snow in Buffalo!

No snow in our part of the UK but a lot of rain is heading our way tomorrow (Monday)

Love those waves :)

All the best Jan

Anvilcloud said...

TG we don’t have lake effect snow. We even seem to miss some storms that we are supposed to get.
I hope JB continues to improve.
BTW your camera seems to be a good one.

Karen said...

Oregano looks too well fed to be feral, don't you think?

Red said...

Awesome new header with deer in the snow.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I am always impressed by how much work you manage to do around your home as well as your ability to get wonderful wild life photos!

Rain said...

Oh the beach...sounds lovely! I can't even comment on snow plows working when the roads are fine Jenn!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the sound of the waves! Looks warm too! :)

DrumMajor said...

Looks like Oregano grew a winter coat. He sure looked like he wanted some food. Maybe put some down for him, if other critters don't get it first!! Linda in Kansas

Lorrie said...

We've heard about the snow in Buffalo. It does lighten the landscape. It's begun to rain here, just a bit.

Patio Postcards said...

I worry about Oregano out in the cold with coyotes walking about. Although he does look fairly well fed, so maybe he is someone's pet.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry it's been so long since I visited. I've been very sick and have mostly stayed in bed trying to keep warm under the covers with my cats.

At least you didn't get the snow that Buffalo got. I love the new header with the deer.