Thursday 24 November 2022

Pumpkins and deer

 We have had some cold temperatures, and some snow. A lot melted the other day, and walking in the forest smells like fall, again. The pumpkins are quite popular. 


I was on my way to grab the SD cards, and Clover and her fawn were in the forest watching me keenly, ready to roar away. It was a quick trip, and I didn't take my camera with me. I knew they'd be on the trailcam! 

They wisely kept their distance. Unfortunately, they kept heading in the direction I was going. It's a highly traveled path that they all follow. The best place for a trailcam. It's properly called a camera trap, since we are trapping their images, I've refrained from using that word. It is good that they fear someone in the forest. 

The deer scrape was uncovered, again, as the buck marks his territory and propriety over the doe hanging about. We had a doe grazing on the grass behind the house. Another in the front. I put a camera there, but didn't get any action yet. 


I love their leaps and bounds. 

 

deer flee from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

These are a bit of a glitch, I think my batteries were low!

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is only a few short clips, in slow motion, the batteries were low. 

coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

😷We are all trying to keep healthy. Caitlin is managing COVID symptoms. Her brain fog is gone, she has some chills, and she is achy, sneezy and coughing. Thankfully she can work from home, sleep in their basement guest room, and recover. She had a positive RAT Sunday, another yesterday, but she is feeling better. 

13 comments:

Tom said...

...I hope that all will feel well.

Anvilcloud said...

That first video looks really good. It’s like any still taken from it would make a decent photo. Nice to see the buck and coyote too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yup, my 4xvaxxed sister, who insists on being very social, has been two weeks in her bed with whatever variant is dominant just now. Plus there appears to be a very nasty influenza on the rounds. Folk need to remember - hands face space is still the best preventative. For any virus. YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

What lovely deer, just doing what they do. Hope Caitlin is feeling a bit better soon! Shake off them viruses!

eileeninmd said...

Sending well wishes for Caitlin. The critters must be loving those pumpkins.
Have a great day!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love your trail cam videos. I haven't put mine out in some time. I think since we don't have dogs any longer we might get more critters than before.

Sorry to hear that your anti-gun range signs got stolen. That's just wrong!!

A little mini-scandal in Oklahoma is that the turnpike authority, which is trying to build a toll road through subdivisions near Oklahoma City, bought up a bunch of possible anti toll road web site names. They denied it but then fessed it up when some journalists found out about it as a result of a freedom-of-information filing.

Olga said...

Deer hunting season is around this time in VT. It's wise for the deer to be cautious around humans and coyotes as well.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Loved seeing the deer on the path. Those pumpkins are a great food source for the deer and other wildlife.

I hope Caitlin is better soon, Jenn!

Red said...

Mule deer do not do the jumping. They sort of rock stiff legged.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for the beauty and wonder you share in each and every post.

Cloudia said...

You go Caitlin! We're pulling for you. Have wonderful that the forest smells like autumn. I wish you could share that with us on the blog.

William Kendall said...

The deer are quite active there.

Jeanie said...

Clover is lovely. We saw a deer last night driving home and boy, she was in the street. So dark.