Tuesday 29 November 2022

Indoor and outdoor tails

For the third day out of 4, I forgot to put the trailcam to the 'on' position after reinserting the fresh card. I am still unable to get a video of the buck marking his scrape (below, right). One is supposed to turn the camera off when removing and reinserting the cards. I thought I was being prudent. Whoopsie. 😳 Don't tell the kids. 

The one day I remembered, all I got was the doe and a raccoon.

Deer scrape from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is where they mark territory, it is rutting season. Nov. 26/22

Then, I contacted the wrong person, enquiring after something online. I thought it was, for example Dave Jones, when it was Don Jones. 😳 Don't tell the kids. 

Finished my workout, fetched trailcam cards, came in for a shower, and found I'd been wearing my t-shirt on inside out all morning. 😳 Don't tell the kids.

I did think to send flowers to Caitlin. They are there beside her tissue box! Covid has settled into her nose. Each day she is better, which is good news. She texted a 'thank you' and a photo!


In the fall there was lots of fungus and many mushrooms. This seems to be the last of it! I bright spot of colour.


I finally remembered to remove the house wren nesting box. It looks a bit the worse for wear. It's actually a bluebird nesting box, but I haven't seen one in years. They have flown south in search of live food! 


Grampa thought Polar Bear looked cold. He fixed that.

More rain tomorrow, they say. And winds. I need to clean the goldfish tank, too. Maybe that is a good rainy day activity. Percy-the-pooper is on the go!

12 comments:

Tom said...

...fungus and many mushrooms are delightful parts of nature.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Shhh, your faux pas' are safe with me! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice flowers, a good idea. I love the last shot with Mr. Cat watching the fish. Good thing nobody will tell the kids anything that you feel was less than super-mom.

RedPat said...

Love the shot with the fish & the cat all looking at each other.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The flowers you sent Caitlin are lovely. I hope she feels better every day. Thanks so much for sending me words of comfort on my post. That means a lot to me. Have a good day! Hugs, Diane

Divers and Sundry said...

I learned a lot about deer when I was a child and daddy hunted them, but we lived in the city so I got no up close and personal experiences like you get. Cool!

Elephant's Child said...

You remembered the important things - those lovely flowers.

Red said...

...and your socks didn't match too!

William Kendall said...

The cat is focused. The fish wonder what that creature is.

DrumMajor said...

We won't tell the kids, cuz we're old enough to forget! Not sure if the Coca-cola polar bear ever got a cap to wear! Linda in Kansas

Angie said...

Jenn - I don't think I have forgotten to turn on the trail cam, but something is definitely wrong with it (or me). We were in Ohio for US Thanksgiving, and I thought I would come back to a treasure trove of photos. Nothing!!!!

Lov your saga of "don't tell the kids" moments - priceless!

NatureFootstep said...

the cat and the fish seem to enjoy the company :)