Friday 4 November 2022

Pumpkins, coyotes, bats

I went off to the farm Nov. 1st to buy some more, on sale, pumpkins. They are now closed!

There didn't seem to be enough when I arrived home (left)! (I tried growing them, but failed.) 
Thankfully, we've good farmers around us! I was so happy with my veggie seedlings. 
Here is Cinnamon with my spring seedlings. None of them took. I've a new plan next year.


I ordered more that afternoon, and they arrived the next morning. 
 


 I saw him roll up, and we unloaded the wagon.

This is what I use them for, I take them down to the frogpond trailcam one or two at a time. (This is an archive.)

buck Nov 9 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Meanwhile, in the dark of the night... 

coyotes 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

↑My mistake was in curating 20 minutes of coyote fun in iMovie. I forgot that the new camera takes square videos, and they were cut off the bottom. 

The new camera picks up bats, as well as the moon, which I zoomed in on!

 

moon shots & bats from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Needless to say, I didn't bother doing a workout that day. That was a good effort. Soon I'll be lifting 40 kg bags of bird seed easily, but I need to work my way into it. 

It's that time of year when we say goodbye to many critters. You just notice them by their absence. I've missed Fred groundhog, and haven't seen porcupette in days. The song birds who eat bugs have gone, too. Farewell! All we've left are those danged invasive Lady Beetles. 

14 comments:

Tom said...

...there are plenty of pumpkins left in the fields here.

RedPat said...

We have some of the Lady Bugs here but we are overrun with Boxelder Beetles in the neighbourhood.

Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful use of pumpkins. I am sure that the critters are grateful.

Leigh said...

I've never had much luck growing pumpkins either, so I stick with other winter squash. That's fantastic that you got so many delivered!

Excellent video clips from your camera. What brand/model is it?

Nancy J said...

The coyotes, are they scuffling the leaves? Looked liked the larger one was very vocal.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I was wondering what you were doing with so many pumpkins! The deer video is great. A couple zoos that i have been to over the years in the fall put pumpkins out for the various critters. The funniest was in Phoenix where they put pumpkins in an enclosure for raccoons. When the zookeeper left raccoons started dropping out of the trees. The staff had stuffed the pumpkins with little fish and the raccoons were after them.

Anvilcloud said...

You are a physical marvel.

William Kendall said...

Quite a cooperative buck.

Red said...

Lots of Canada geese flying over today . They're on their way.

DrumMajor said...

You are so good and kind to your critters! Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

I love your awesome header photo, Jenn!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful way to use pumpkins. You will sure get a daily workout, too.

I couldn't leave you a comment until now because the battery in my keyboard died. Dead! It took forever for it to recharge.

Divers and Sundry said...

Great use of the pumpkins. I hadn't thought about baiting the trail cams. What a fun idea :)

Jeanie said...

Love Cinnamon by the window --what a great lookout. I still am seeing all our critters but I know they'll ease off soon. Our weather has been unseasonably warm... but it won't last.