Friday 18 November 2022

It is rutting season!

 Here it is, 5:30 a.m., and I actually slept after turning my light out at 9 p.m. last night. Normally, I've a couple of posts ready to go, but this gun range has us going. 

I have 67 emails tagged with 'gun range,' with the subsequent back and forths on it all. JB has 169 emails, of a similar nature. Navigating a leaderless, ad hoc group is quite the challenge. Allright, enough venting. There are a million ideas of what we could do. It's settling into a good plan, and getting people on board, that is the challenge. Two women have managed to get 300 signatures. That is a time-consuming project. Many of us have our adult kids helping, too. There are many people with much expertise in various areas. 

I've fall chores to do. I did an online order for a new drain pipe, which cracked and fall apart. The water barrel is emptied and upside down. Next I must put out some more lights. It cheers us up, despite not having anyone seeing them. Caitlin is still in Punta Cana. Apparently karaoke night was last night! It's proven to be a great spot for their vacation.


This video is a fine selfie by a buck. This was a few days ago. It highlights the pumpkin eaters!
 

Peter, Peter from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The snowfall on the pumpkins is lovely. The driveway melted and the snow evaporated. 


The frogpond looks lovely, sometime I will clean out the nest boxes. Non-mental note, I'd like to clean out the one nesting box before spring. I ought to move the one that hasn't been used in a couple of years. The weasel got those eggs one year, and the box should be moved.

It is rutting season. I suspect that this is a deer scrape. We've two males hanging about. The females go into heat for 24 hours, and the males can smell it. They will follow the female until it is time. 
They stake out their territory, scraping the snow and debris away, then they urinate on their glands on the bare space. They will nudge a hanging branch above, spreading their boy smells! This look like that is what they did at the base of the evergreen. 
If my new camera was working, I've gone through three sets of 8 batteries, beginning with rechargeables, and going to regular batteries, over a few days. 

This is what rutting season looks like! He followers her, and just gets her mad! He looks to be two or three years old, and I think she is a fawn (1-year-old) or a yearling (2-year-old). She just ain't havin' none of it! Oh, I laughed. I think I dated a couple of men like this, between husbands! 

13 comments:

Tom said...

...we have snow on the pumpkins too.

William Kendall said...

The deer certainly do like pumpkin.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved seeing the poor deer. They are so beautiful, and funny! Good luck and many wishes for all your efforts to thwart the gun range to be fruitful!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
😀 Your home is a virtual nature hide! Such things to observe... YAM xx

DUTA said...

Perhaps in Canada it hopefully works: signatures, emails, ideas, plans. In my neck of the woods, these steps are considered the domain of the naive. Promises yes, but nothing significant is gained by them.

Christine said...

Oh it is cold these days

Nancy J said...

He is so determined. Love the pumpkin feast.Down here, torrential rain, both yesterday and last night.

Breathtaking said...

Hi Jenn, I did mean Virginia creeper,,thanks for the correction. You are a busy bee, attending to your fall chores and your crusade for the ban of the gun range. It seems as though you have a lot of support so far. Good luck!

RedPat said...

Those pumpkins are so popular with your creatures.

DeniseinVA said...

I really wish you only the very best of luck with that gun range issue. Those lights are lovely as is the rest of the décor. I like the jelly fish motif. Great close up on that buck’s ears and rack. I love how he scratches his ears, just like a big old puppy dog. I laughed at the one of the male and female deer, and at your last sentence. Thanks for another very enjoyable post Jenn and wishing you a great weekend.

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck with the gun range.
Smiling at the fawn/yearlings reactions. I think that many of us have been there.

Kay said...

Too funny! She's definitely not in the mood.

Jeanie said...

It certainly looks pretty there. I have to move my pumpkins to the back and crack them open for the critters. I'm hoping we melt a little more so it's easier to do it.

Good luck with the rutting season. And with the gun range. I salute you!