Saturday 19 November 2022

Saturday's Critters

Things sure have changed around here. There is a soft layer of snow on the ground, wrapping everything in a blanket. This is Nov. 15 vs. Nov. 19th!

I am happy to putter outside, and watch the 17 mourning doves I spotted at the feeder on Friday!


My newest camera is a hoot. I managed to get a spider on it the other day. There was a bat before we got so cold, too. Bats are hibernating now.

 

Jean had an interesting comment, about deer not normally eating pumpkins, but I know they have adapted over the centuries. We are nestled in amongst a lot of farms, and families with veggie gardens. A friend of mine, a professional photographer, puts his 5 trailcams beside a soy bean farm. He has 5 bucks, with huge antlers, eating up that crop! 

When we first moved in, 2010, the previous owners had a pumpkin growing in the veggie garden. It was wedged between the white pickets. Bambi went after it. 

Clover and fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've had Clover, a single doe, and her fawn. Also, a doe with twins. This is the only way we can tell them apart, who they hang with. It was a busy crowd. This was Nov. 17th.


how many deer? from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Nov. 17th, 2022, coyote came by during the snowstorm. I captured him on both cameras.

coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Saturday's Critters # 466 <= visit Eileen's critter party here!

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

The dove is adorable, great shot. Your Coyote seems visit often. I love the deer and pumpkin videos, they are so cute. Neat video capture of the bat flying around. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
??? While delighted to see my initials being used, I don't believe I questioned the dining choices of the deer (I know from experience their opportunistic ways!)... but I am glad somebody did, as it prompted some interesting info from you! These vids are just downright delightful. YAM xx

Tom said...

...I like the deer at the pumpkin bar.

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful... I need that too... a night camera like that!
Many greetings to you.
I wish you a nice weekend... we also have snow plus sun today... that's how it goes in the forest - now.

DeniseinVA said...

Loved all your critters today, all the snow photos and videos. Your trail cam picks up great activity. The deer ones with the pumpkins are my favorites but the spider is fascinating, and a fun sighting of the coyote. Thanks so much and Happy Saturday!

Barbara Rogers said...

It's so wonderful to see you capture photos of deer and coyotes. Keep warm up there in snow country! I was imagining, the other day, how native women would prepared grains to make porridge, and when they looked out of their caves, what wild animals might they see...racoons, deer, bear, coyotes? Somehow I thought coyotes were newer to this area. But of course it might depend upon where she was living, out west, or NC, or Ontario...

RedPat said...

17 doves. Amazing!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think deer will eat what ever is available and if that is pumpkins so be it. They ate the neighbors decorative pumpkins and they are in the corn field too. My brother said they have lots of fat on their backs so it could be a hard winter:)

Karen said...

Nothing is eating my pumpkins. The chipmunks and birds aren't even going for the seeds. Maybe if it all survives the winter there will be pumpkins growing in the "Hole" come spring.
I've brought my trail camera into the house for a rest. It's going to get cleaned up and fresh batteries and some thought into where to go next. Now that we have snow I think we will go for a walk and suss out a place where things cross and/or congregate. Hunting is finished tomorrow so more wood walks will be starting.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's interesting to see what animals will eat...they eat what is available. I hate that they get into garbage here, especially the black bears. Love your banner at the top!

Elephant's Child said...

As always I love your critters. And, as we warm up, soon enough I will be envying your snow.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That looks like a well fed coyote!!

We have had a couple snow squalls but nothing has stuck so far.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good grief, YAM, YOu are right. It was Jean. I'm going nuts.

Kay said...

This is so neat. It looks like a cool banquet.

William Kendall said...

Something about deer, they seem to carry themselves in a graceful way.

Lorrie said...

Look at all those deer lined up to eat pumpkins! What a buffet!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the photograph of the dove and great videos :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Your snow is pretty and I love the video of Clover and Fawn and all the deer!