Thursday 17 November 2022

Snow, ice, and the beach

 That was a snowy adventure. The bird bath is holding up well. Thanks, John. There was snow to brush off. The trick is, when doing the bird feeders, that you don't get the snow in your sleeves!



The frozen goldfish pond with a layer of slush.


Waking up to snowfall, I began going through my chore list. Tuesday, knowing a storm was coming, I'd put the snow blower in the garage, and put the shovels there, for handy access. It's a heavy snowblower, but it is a delight when I've a ton of snow to move along a 100 m driveway. We only had about 5 cm, and I shoveled the sidewalk, but the driveway melted over the day. The ground is quite warm.


Here was my morning project. I'd totally forgotten to detach and drain the 2nd water barrel. My bad.


Managing to get the top off, there was a layer of ice! 


Draining it with a hose as syphon (the spigot was frozen), I'll have to go back out today and remove it, tip it over, and lay it beside the house. I'll have to go and buy a new drain spout, non-mental note. This one has cracked, and broken where it should attach to the drain pipe below.

I tried to find a nice snow photo, but my heart wasn't in it. 


I should have posted this prior to the snowfall! Butch and Peter are loving the pumpkins.

Butch raccoon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Peter from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I was busy enough yesterday that I din't check the trailcameras at all.

We'll leave you with this. I am warmed by Caitlin's beach photos! She is enjoying her Punta Cana trip with her friend. It's a relatively quiet and a smaller resort, unlike the one we went to together in 2017. People would 'reserve' beach loungers all day, coming back after meals. They weren't supposed to, but they would hoard their spot. Caitlin is enjoying her time there.
"I do love a beach! The waves are lovely, very little seaweed, it’s warm… Heaven!"

17 comments:

Tom said...

...you got a lot more snow that we did.

Anvilcloud said...

Our driveway did not melt completely. Maybe I should have shovelled. I hope this isn’t the year that it sticks already.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Brrrrrrrrrrr.... love that vid with Pumpkin Peter (at least, I am assuming that's him). YAM xx

Patio Postcards said...

Ah yes those lingering yet to do pre-winter garden tasks ... I have yet to get my rose huts on. Butch seems to have brought friends to the party.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Looks very cold there, with all that snow. The birds will appreciate the bird feeders. Love seeing the deer with the pumpkins. Take care, enjoy your day!

DeniseinVA said...

What a fun post, though not making light of all the snow you have to deal with already, and the chores it brings. Lucky Caitlin's enjoying Punta Cana. Good for her. That’s quite a contrasting photo :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The critters are enjoying your pumpkins!!

I used to fly to Idaho in the Fall to winterize Dad's house. He had an evaporative cooler and so had to drain it of water and shut and drain the water lines. Sometimes there would be a little ice in the pan in October.

Karen said...

Nothing is interested in the pumpkins I threw down. Go Figure?

William Kendall said...

Peter has it made.

Nancy J said...

Peter seems quite tame and not fazed by your car. The pumpkins, not something they would eat in the wild, I wonder why they find them so tasty.

Red said...

There's always something we forget to empty and it's not supposed to freeze.

RedPat said...

It would be nice to be on a warm beach today.

Elephant's Child said...

Such a contrast in photos and temperatures from first to last...

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, the first snow really got you busy. Glad the drive melted on its own. Love seeing your critters enjoying the last of the pumpkins. No commenta about beaches here...I'm just too jealous.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I could handle some sunshine and warm weather. It will be a long winter! Your snow is way prettier than ours:)

Kay said...

Wow! You have an impressive amount of snow!

Jeanie said...

You are so smart to advance prep. It seems like this year's snow is early. I want to be where Caitlin is!