Tuesday 16 April 2024

RIP Percy

I'll deal with the bad news first. R. I. P. Percy 🐟

Percy wasn't happy in the cold. There was nothing to be done, though. I went out to check on him Monday, and he is definitely dead. I am so sad. His white friend is dead, as well. There is a smaller orange goldfish still alive. I have to think about what to do. 


It was just too cold for him, I guess. I feel awful. He hadn't moved and I didn't want to disturb him. But he was gone. He's been out there since March 29th, but succumbed to the cold. I think he was 6 years old, and we got him in Brockville.


I am still trying to figure out how to remove the old caulk from his leaky aquarium and re-caulk it. I can't reach the bottom, even standing on a chair. I don't even know how I managed to get the aquarium up on the stand. I guess I was 10 years younger!

The sunset was very pretty!

 

I went for a walkabout between storms. 

The daffodils are coming along. 

I finally remembered to check on the forsythia. Thanks to everyone who has been featuring theirs. 


You may think me silly, forgetting, but I planted it when we had a view through here. The evergreens have grown! I cannot see it from here, right on the other side of these two evergreens. 


 
The Lenten Rose is in bloom. I was trimming old dead leaves, and apparently the flowers grow on new stalks. You have to be careful with some bushes as blossoms grow on old growth in some cases.


16 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That's too bad.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sad for your loss. You had quite a trial when the tank inside started leaking, so there was no option but to transfer Percy to the pond. I don't know how you dispose of remains, but I liked to put my deceased fish into a flower pot and help to fertilize a bit of new life...just like I hope my own cells will do someday. (Just got a flash of deja vu - maybe I've had this conversation before.) Forsythia does give such a joyful burst against the dark conifers!

RedPat said...

I feel bad about Percy but you did your best.

Karen said...

So sorry to hear about Percy. I enjoyed following his story. When my daughter moved home after college she stuck her aquarium in front of the bedroom window. She had a huge big goldfish! The poor guy succumbed to heat. I always thought gold fish were more tolerant of temperature. My cousin in Oshawa leaves her fishies in their pond year round, but it is five feet deep so ????

eileeninmd said...

So sorry for the loss of Percy!
Pretty sunset! Take care, have a great day!

Jeanie said...

I am so, so sorry about Percy (and his friend). That is a long life for a goldfish and he has become part of your family. I hope you can find a way to fix the aquarium.

Kathy G said...

So sad about Percy. Has your weather been unusual this spring?

Nancy J said...

At our other home we had a fairly good sized pond and lots of goldfish. It didn't get too cold but even so some died, we thought that was when they were old.So Percy, it was your time to go, and maybe not the cold but just old age. Sad days Jenn,but he had a good life with you. That yellow bush, the gold is a bright spot.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you found your Forsythia.

Elephant's Child said...

I am sorry to read that Percy is gone, but love your Spring display. Forsythia is always a joy.

Tom said...

...haven't had fish in years! Perhaps the time has has come.

Christine said...

RIP Percy.

DrumMajor said...

So sorry about Mr. Percy. He certainly had some extra room to roam for awhile. Isn't that old for his type of fish? Might want to get a small tank for your next group of fishies so it will be easier to care for. Linda in Kansas

Red said...

Tough loss of Percy.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So sorry to read about Percy. I guess it was too cold for him. I hope he had a good life and knew he was loved.

River said...

6 years is a good age for a fish I think. I had my Chippy for about four years, a siamese fighting fish.
I never remember what grows on old growth or new growth so I just don't prune and now I am where the gardens are communal not my own so thta's all taken care of by "gardeners" who walk around with chainsaws and lop off everything above their own hip level.