Thursday 11 April 2024

The frog pond awakes

 I hope you aren't tired of the eclipse... I thought about the Crumbly Acres camera, and it shows a bit of our drama. The camera thought it was getting dark and clicked in to night mode! 

eclipse from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The birds are coming back. Our bug-eating birds tend to flee south since our bugs lie frozen under the snow. I enjoy the change in seasons. Tidying up for winter, then setting things out for summer. 

With the birds being back, we know the bugs are getting ready. The frog pond is amazing. It is a very busy spot, being a vernal pond. It'll likely dry up over summer. I went down in the sunshine and spotted mosquito larvae, fairy shrimp, just boiling around in the water. I took these photos back when I could manage a micro lens, prior to cataracts. I've a secondary cataract in my left eye. Eventually I'll have to get it done.




The wood frogs are done. This was the last I heard. Maybe I ought to see if I can find any chorus frogs! 

wood frogs Apr 6 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


mosquito larvae from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Fairy shrimp from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It is a dog-eat-dog world!

 

damselfly larvae from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Yellow bellied sapsucker! He's banging on the metal, using it as an amplifier to establish territory and attract females.

Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've two days of rain on the way. That will help gardens!


These daffodils should bloom today. Maybe. Maybe not in the rain!



9 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Double wow this morning...such an amazing video of the eclipse passing by. Bird is so loud, I would imagine his friends all know where he is! And all those bug larvae! So much life.

eileeninmd said...

I've been hearing some frogs and the cicadas are loud now too.
Great shot of the Sapsucker. Take care, have a great day!

Karen said...

It sure didn't get as dark here. Amazing how such a short distance made a difference wasn't it?
Our peepers are singing away at dusk. LOTS of woodpeckers big and small banging away. I haven't seen the pileated pair yet but I hear them hollering at each other. We had sandhill cranes doing a flypast!!

RedPat said...

I've been surprised to see daffodils out this week. It feels early to me.

Elephant's Child said...

I love seeing your season change. And the daffs look great.

Cloudia said...

I'm enjoying your change of season very much too. Thank you honey AlohaI'm enjoying your change of season very much too. Thank you honey. Aloha

Christine said...

Great to see the daffodils

Red said...

Bugs are just waiting to get going. I saw a black butterfly with a yellow border on the wings.

Patio Postcards said...

A definite spring sign is when the birds start to chatter by 5am. I haven't heard the frogs yet in the pond nearest us. WOW to seeing a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker; how cool that they know the metal sound travels far a field.