Sunday 31 March 2024

Crumbly Acres Maintenance

 There are things to do for spring!

The snow has really melted. The winds have picked up. An oak leaf was crab-crawling down the driveway. It looked animated! 

I was rinsing out cat litter buckets for reuse. The spigot is cracked. Why didn't I bring it in? I cannot reach the indoor shutoff valve. Sad thing. 


I may have jinxed it, but the snowblower is in the shed, away for the season. 

I don't know why, but we brought this back from Bala. It belonged to my parents. It has had its day. We'll have to take it apart and find space for the pots and stuff in the garage.


Indoors, the orchid is happy.

I have had a disaster with my fish tank. It is leaking in the one side's corner. The light stopped working in February:  Percy's new aquarium light! It was a floor model and on sale, and it has served me well. All the lovely green I had (fake plants) have had the biscuit. Just fell apart. I've gone through 3 tank pumps.

I put on Gorilla Tape, I thought it was Flex Tape, but I was wrong. It kept leaking. We bought this one since it fit so nicely into the corner!

Percy and his pals have been popped into the goldfish pond outside. The tank was drained, with JB's help.


Can you see the skiff of ice on the goldfish pond?!

The next morning I checked on him and he looked quiet. I gave him some food, and left. When I came back the food was gone. Good sign!


I have time to do some research and figure out what to do. They don't make this shape any more. Most of them are a rectangle.


I had this tank in Bala, Muskoka, in 2007.


It fit so nicely into the corner. I found an interesting one, 150 lbs., thick walls (1/2"), and requires 'freight shipping' whatever that is (big $$$?). I shall pass on this one! 


The curtain was soaked where the tank leaked on it. I spread it out over the railing to dry. 




From British Columbia, here is Bernie, Jesse's Vancouver cat in his outdoor front porch cattery at their cottage.  They call him Bernie Houdini! 

17 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I love the cattery! My son has something like that for one of his cats that like to be outdoors, it looks like a huge jungle gym.

I have no idea what to do for tanks as we never had an aquarium. We had birds for a while a long time ago.

Hopefully the snow is done now.
Happy Easter to you.

We are just having another quiet day.

eileeninmd said...

Your orchid looks lovely.
I like your fish tank and the fish!
Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Percy looks quite content out there in the pond. Hope you figure out a solution soon!

RedPat said...

Poor Percy is not used to the cold anymore. He is lucky the weather has warmed up so much.

Anvilcloud said...

You have many things to keep track of.
Have a good Easter Day. It looks nice out there, and I think the wind has abated .

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a bother with the tank leaking. Glad Percy made it through a cold night out. Love seeing Bernie's caterey! Happy Easter!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I know you will solve your tank trouble soon enough... and am super impressed with the catio arrangement! YAM xx

Cloudia said...

Nice to see the cat and the fish. Enjoying an outdoor spring. Although like you, I worry about the fish a little bit. Have a brilliant day and week my friend. Aloha

Tom said...

...I'd pass on $1470.14 too. Happy Easter.

Christine said...

A busy time of year!

Mae Travels said...

Good luck with all the repairs and replacements that have come to light. Sounds like the normal course of events though — so I’m sure youlll make it through!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am amazed how extensive some people’s home aquaria are, but the contents are fascinating, and verging on therapeutic to watch. I have never really considered one myself, but I can see how I could get interested in it. Where I would put it is another issue! Maybe a terrarium for reptiles would be easier.,

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck with the tank - and the fish.

DeniseinVA said...

Happy Easter! Sorry to read about the troubles with your tank. What a great idea that porch cattery is!

Angie said...

Jenn - thanks for visiting my blog! I don't believe your comment about no local friends - what about all your critters?!?

Sorry to hear about your fish tank - water damage is no laughing matter.

I was out in my garden today, after the morning blizzard passed by!

Happy April to you!

DrumMajor said...

What about a round, barrel type of tank? Would it have less of a chance of leaking? Linda in Kansas

Patio Postcards said...

So many things to do - it's one reason I like my written to do lists. Oh too bad about the fish tank.