Sunday 7 April 2024

🥌 World Curling, Fred Groundhog, snow

🥌 World Curling has kept us going with all the slushy snow and rainfall outside. The WMCC website is quite robust and responsive. 



It is the World Men's Championships, and it took some effort to see the sign. It has two lightly coloured letters, which threw me. It actually says HEIA NORGE, if you see what I mean. Translation: GO NORWAY!


We are hampered by the time difference, it being played out in Switzerland, a 7-hour difference, but TSN has been good at posting the schedule. In between games we do chores. I washed the kitchen floor Friday. After lunch I went walkies in the forest to check trailcams. There was NOTHING on them! The wise critters hunker down in the slushy snow.

🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌 🥌

🍀 The Leprechaun is melting! OK, I began creating this post yesterday, and Leprechaun is just a small ball of snow today! 


I peeked in on Percy Goldfish. He is hunkered down under the cedar logs I threw in for protection. He is a bright orange!


We've one star flower blooming. Soon the bees will be out enjoying them (2nd photo ↘ April 22, 2011)! I was attacked by a mosquito yesterday. Soon they will hatch out of the pond and a whole new generation will be on the look out for fresh blood. 


The tulips are OK, as are the daffodils along the driveway.

The trailcam on the steps has captured Fred Groundhog wagging his tail.

Here s/he was on April Fool's Day, prior to the snowfall.

Fred April 1st from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After the snowfall, I could track Labbit across the yard. Except it melted under the trees in the warmth of the sun. I love those distinct bunny tracks.



I wasn't sure where Fred went. He has several holes in the yard. His claws are quite long, and I found tracks near the shed. Someone knocked over little bear trying to get into the burrow under the slats. We haven't burned as much wood as in the past. 

He has large claws and is an excellent digger and climbs, as well. 

This is a screen capture from last year. Look at those claws.


The frog pond is melted. It has been quiet, though. 

Yesterday most of the snow is gone. This morning it is -1 ℃ but expected to rise to 14 ℃ today.  For the eclipse on Monday, April 8th, we may have clouds. We shall see.

12 comments:

Jeanie said...

I never know the rules for curling when I watch events like the Olympics but I find it intriguing. It's looking beautiful around your place and I'm glad much of the snow is gone. Hope you can see the eclipse!

Anvilcloud said...

Nice to see the little flowers, and you should soon have daffs.

Barbara Rogers said...

My friends here have been watching the basketball tournaments. They'll come up for air eventually. Just kidding, they do yard work in the morning then settle in to watch games in the afternoon! Hope Percy is adapting to the water outside. He's pretty big and probably can cope. Our weather seems to vary by 20 degrees like today. Frost melted with sunshine and it will get into 50s F. easily.

tz_garden said...

Your first flowers are very cheery, even in the snow! Love that groundhog, what a sturdy boy.

RedPat said...

It is a beautiful sunny day here today. I actually saw some daffodils flowering this morning.

Nancy J said...

Monday here already, hope you get a good clear sky for that epic eclipse.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

While looking forward to the frogs croaking, with it comes those nasty little mosquitoes! Those, I could do without.

Elephant's Child said...

Those claws are impressive.
I love spring star flowers and look forward to ours every year. They have multiplied well too.

Red said...

You have all kinds of signs for spring. Spring will come suddenly. That's why it's called spring!

Kay said...

Happy almost spring, Jenn! I hope you get to see something of the eclipse. I have a feeling we're going to be clouded over and ahhhh well... we don't have our eclipse viewing cards any since I sent them to our daughter in Illinois.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have not seen our groundhog yet, I might just be missing it.
We do have some bunnies running around the yard.
Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

The Furry Gnome said...

We have a rabbit too, but not a ground hog! And sadly no frogs. I used to love the spring peeper chorus.