Wednesday 17 April 2024

A sunny day!

Temperatures have been up and down. We finally had a sunny day and decided to do a dump run. We've stuff that needed throwing out. An old metal garbage can of my dad's that had rusted through, pond equipment I can't use, old pots, etc. 


The wet fields, with all the rain we've had.



Around the bend, we had our car weighed first.

This is the pile of metal.

We drove up the hill, where we to dump our stuff.


Back to the weigh scale. 


It was an adventure! I think we went right at the top of the hill instead of left. We will know next time. The guy came out a vaguely sent us up the hill, but I suspect...
 This is sped up 4 x's, just for fun.

To the dump from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I noticed a memorial. Research tells me it was an 18-year-old in a head on collision. I always wish there were follow-up reports. What did the OPP learn? Who was at fault? How could it be prevented?

We passed a vernal swamp. It disappears in the heat of summer. 


On the way home, I asked Joseph Brian to take me to the quarry. The chorus frogs were singing for love! 

We did some chorus frog surveys over the years. They put the research on hold for some reason. 

chorus frogs 3 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

More research, this place is for sale just up the road. It's on an acre, only $679,900! I think there are chorus frogs there in the pond from one of our frog surveys.



9 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Just getting caught up... Sorry to hear about Percy!

That house. Love property and I can almost hear the frogs in the area. Housing prices by us have gone crazy pricing the younger generation right out of the housing market.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun time at the local dump! Nothing like ridding your life of some of the weight that isn't being used!

RedPat said...

I went to the dump yesterday too!

Jeanie said...

When you have a sunny day, you get out. We're supposed to be having rain today but so far it's beautiful so once I finish all this, I'm getting out in case it changes. Memorials always make me sad.

tz_garden said...

Wow, you have really thawed out! *I'm sorry about Percy :(.

Gaelyn said...

Love hearing the frogs. Nice to get a nature fix on a day of chores.

Elephant's Child said...

Why do they weigh your car coming and going from the dump? Are you charged for trips there?
How I would love to hear frogs again.

Red said...

For you it's time to dry out. For us we need some warmer weather.

Jenn Jilks said...

@Elephant's Child
They charge for garbage, and ensure that you live in the county.
They don't charge for the stuff we took, including an old speaker, and unusable stuff!