Sunday 14 April 2024

Flying gray squirrel!

I wrote about Fred's burrows yesterday. They are epic! I have to assure @Karen that there was a very sturdy base with two concrete pads. Sand and large gravel chunks, which Fred managed to move, probably went down with the house. I'm glad we're in the country. 


You can see the work he did. (We're going with 'him' for now, AC. ) It was very heavy to try throw back into the hole. I laughed, honestly. It's still solid. 



Friday, the first daffodils were tipsy in the rain. Percy, and his two pals (one died last week, sadly), have been frigid.


Down by the driveway, actual daffies on Saturday! I ventured out in the rain. This is with my cell phone, in the rain and cold.


These came around to bloom on Saturday, in the rain.




🦝 I haven't noticed many raccoons this year. This one was on the trailcam, but alone. We'll see if they show up. They often do turn up with kits in tow. They slumber over winter, and maybe their systems are out of whack with the warm/cold temperatures we've had.

Butch raccoon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The trailcams themselves have been fairly quiet. Not many coyotes. I guess food is more easily available.

coyote April 6 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had a couple of turkey hens go by in the forest, but Archie hasn't been around. 

Instead, just a lone hen in the yard in the rain.

2 turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I caught it twice on camera, jumping from the bird bath to the feeder. Hubby has seen it jumping from the horse chestnut tree behind the feeder onto the feeder. April 13. It is a very strong gray squirrel. 

FLying squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow indeed! That squirrel is well fed by your bird seed, thus he thinks he can fly like a bird, almost!

eileeninmd said...

I found out there is not way to keep the squirrels from eating all the bird food. Love the turkey and your pretty flowers. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy week!

RedPat said...

That is a determined squirrel.

Anvilcloud said...

Percy is gone? Aww.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your critters - which are all exotica to me.

Jenn Jilks said...

No, AC. Percy is quite cold, but still hanging in. He isn't budging in this cold rain.

Cloudia said...

The calm before a lot of activity. Fingers crossed! Very exciting time at your place. Aloha!

Tom said...

...daffodils ever disappoint!

Red said...

Flying squirrels are difficult to photograph. Here they are only active at night as far as I know.

DeniseinVA said...

Nature is surely amazing, and I always leave amazed at all that you have around your home.

River said...

That squirrel jump is amazing.