Friday 12 April 2024

The Osprey are back!

 It's been a week full of critters! There are lots of 🥀Spring Chores, if the rain stops. 

A pair of house finches were looking for a place to nest!

house finch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Our Osprey are back, as well as the phoebes who are house hunting.

 


I was down at the frog pond and spotted a muskrat. I took a short video and I'll be darned if I can find it! One time they came they had 6 kits, and cleared out all of the phragmites! In 2014 and 2016:  McGregor Muskrat is back📹  Muskrats in the frog pond .

I did not go down to the pond on Thursday. We had 10 mm rain. I made a fire and someone and his cat watched curling in the afternoon. I did not put the heat on. I may pay for that. They forecast snow at the tail end of this storm. However, it is14 ℃ and balmy, with more rain on the way. We had another  14mm in the early hours. This weird storm is rotating counterclockwise, and we've more rain on the way.

In the pouring rain, an emergency, JB had to go into town for more ground coffee. Coffee is the way to begin our days! 

I've been lousy at making meals. Stress does that to you. Happily flash frozen stuff is great. I did make pigs in a blanket with canned beans one day. A fast meal, for when I have a client. Thing is, I think they are putting fewer actual beans in the can! SHRINKFLATION is at work here. It had more sauce than normal, which fills up the can. It's 389ml. 

I wrapped sausages in Pillsbury dough, and we dunked. Not bad for a quick meal. 

 

Ah well. Such is life these days. 


The orchid cactus is really happy.

Poor Percy! The pond went down to 0℃, then slowly climbed up to 2, 4, and 6℃ on Thursday. Percy is on his own. He sits and stares in the corner. 



Spring unfolds. 

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Your flowers are pretty. I have seen an osprey on a nest recently too.
Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

Rain said...

Shrinkflation indeed. I bought a tin of Pringles chips and it said "Family Fun Pack" well, they only stuff it 3/4 of the way so that ain't fun to pay for! I love Pillsbury Dough, well done for your dinner! ☺

Anvilcloud said...

When will Perry get some friends?

MARY G said...

We have most of our birds back; I can hear the red-winged blackbirds from the porch, and robins, although mostly what I am hearing from them is bad language and not song. Waiting for the rose-breasted grosbeak - that's one of the most musical of our birds. I suspect we have a northern mockingbird, but I have to be outside listening for quite a long time to be sure it is one bird pretending to be several, and not several legitimate singers.
And geese, lots. The language there as they settle in the beaver pond to rest overnight is hilarious.
Violets and crocus. No daffs for a week or two yet. But the buds on the white lilac promise a feast.
That's a neat eclipse shot below. Wish I had thought of that.

Christine said...

Beautiful orchid

The Furry Gnome said...

Shrinkflation is real! I keep seeing it everywhere!

Cloudia said...

Spring is such an exciting time around your place! Yes we are all under amazing stress, but like the gym it is making us better people even though we occasionally have those symptoms of indecision and befuddlement. Love you my friend. Aloha

Elephant's Child said...

Poor Percy. I am really glad that the birds are returning.

Jeanie said...

shrinkflation in everything. I suppose we could be starving... but still, it's frustrating!

Nancy J said...

Spring is definitely in your air or area!!! Love the Osprey there. They are magnificent birds.