Tuesday 30 April 2024

Fred and Fred 2

This was a great sighting of the lower deck. I could see both groundhogs at the same time. The female (left) had jumped out of the hole on the right side, and jumped over to the other hole, turned around, and poked her head out. Fred then appeared in the hole.


I think Fred 2 is a little more grey than Fred, who is a bit more rust-coloured. I also think Fred 2 is the female! Fred knows us and is wary, but will watch us carefully.

Fred's burrows

They were digging out under the Hydrangea. Burrow #5. You can see the dirt flying.

2 fred groundhogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon and I went to check it out. He really gets into his work.



I put the snakescope into burrow #4a. This is more difficult than it looks!
 

Fred's burrow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This camera is on its last legs! Still, it captured their run.

Fred Apr 27 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It is a busy yard. They've been wrestling on the deck! The Wingscapes camera was on the lowest step. I think this is bonding behaviour. I wonder if we'll have little Freds?!

10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah ha! And what would the little ones be called? Fredlets? Can't wait to see! They are still wild animals, but so interesting that they like being close to your house.

RedPat said...

You could put together a Fred documentary. ;-)

Jeanie said...

I hope you don't lose Cinnamon down the groundhog hole! It's fun to see two of them (so long as they aren't digging too much under your house!)

tz_garden said...

Those are some healthy groundhogs! They must have plenty to snack on :)

Anvilcloud said...

They are getting long well. I think you can expect more freds.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm enjoying your reports on Fred!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Awwwwwww - hope so! I love how you share your acres with so many wonderfurs critters.... YAM xx

Cloudia said...

Wow! You even have a snake scope! You really are my hero. Aloha, Jen

Elizabeth Edwards said...

what fun. i love seeing all your critters. we are having rain ...glad for it. love seeing your blooms. going to see more of those now. thanks!! ( ;

Red said...

And so the groundhog saga continues.