Saturday 29 September 2018

We have new fishies!

I'm using this day to post for Saturday's Critters #250.  I talked JB into a drive to Cornwall. Shirley 5 died last week. Shirley had a good life. She was a shubutkin.


I was down to 4 fish, and my calico is pretty old. I thought I might add to my population. It's a couple of hours there, and 154 km. What the heck. It's pretty late in the season, and we don't have a large fish store nearby.


To explain, one of the animal rescues we support is Bea Meadow Farm. Natalie has over 100 animals and has had a tough week. She's taken in a number of kittens, who have had some health issues. Her vet bills have been atrocious, despite multiple animal discounts, as we have with 3 cats!
At first, staff didn't want to be in the photo.
I noticed that one of the pet stores support her, and takes donations. Stacy's Pet Store also had some goldfish (koi) on sale. JB has been bugging me to go somewhere, why not there, where we could also make a donation? We bought 15 cans of kitty food for Bee Meadow Farm. It's not a lot, as we make other donations monthly. Natalie has a strong fan club who also send her items from her Amazon wish list!
Then, they gave in!
Off we went Wednesday morning. Another drive: to Brockville, to steam along highway #401. The bonus? We had lunch at one of our favourite places, Nauticus, in Long Sault. (More on that later!)

The funny thing was, on the way back, in Ritchies Feed Store, just outside Brockville, I found four more goldfish I could pop in the pond. It's about an hour closer. I bought them, too.



I like how the new fishies greeted them!

You'll notice when I put the bags in the pond, a frog hopped up on it.

I've noticed a bullfrog has moved into the goldfish pond. This is not good, as the pond freezes, and thaws, in our variable winter climate and weather. You can see how heavy he is, making the cedar sink!


Daisy was keen to see what I was up to. She took a walk around the pond and froggie after froggie, sitting on the edge of the pond, hopped in. It was funny. There must be about 20 in the pond now.


Soon, I shall have to bring the goldfish in for winter. I'm not quite ready, yet. I fill the 60 gallon tank from the well water, which is very cold, and needs several days to warm up. You can see the calico.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the fish and the cute frogs. You have a nice pond. It is great to support the rescue. Great photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend. PS, thanks for the comment on my post.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
welcome, fishies!!! YAM xx

Gaelyn said...

A lovely excuse to take a drive. Was thinking it rather late in the year to add fish to the pond so glad to know you have that huge tank. Fun to watch, for you and the cats.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful critters! Glad you were able to get the new goldfish!

Nancy J said...

A wonderful farm, and how it all began. Your fishes will be fine, and indoors for the winter, that is a lot of TLC. Where will the frog go?

Olga said...

Does bringing them in for the winter help keep them small? I have seen goldfish get very large being outdoors in FLorida -- filling up the space available it seems.

Red said...

It's a good thing your trip wasn't any longer or you would have had many more fish.

Powell River Books said...

It must be like a trip to Hawaii for the goldfish when they come indoors from their pond when it gets cold. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

@Jean –The bullfrog, and the other 20 frogs, will bury themselves in the mud once the water is cold. They have something like antifreeze in their systems to prevent them from dying. That said, if we have much of a freeze/thaw, it can kill them.
@Olga – It's true that fish grow to the size of their container. I'm not sure whether it limits their size half the year indoors! It's a good question.

William Kendall said...

You wonder what the fish think, being in a bag like that.

Kay said...

Your new fishes add lovely color to your pond. I hope it's not too difficult to catch them to bring them in for the winter.

Anvilcloud said...

You'll be well stocked for next year.

Angie said...

That shot of Daisy is hilarious - that's about how I feel right now!