Saturday 20 April 2024

Saturday's Critters

It's been busy with spring critters. I am itching to get back into the garden, but it has been wet, cold, damp and rainy. I can hear the twitch grass growing into the garden, but don't have the energy to pull it out. The bugs are back, with many song birds returning to mate. The forsythia along the highway is very cheerful.


The mating season is upon is. I noticed a pair of flickers bopping around the arbour. They seem to be nesting in the dead elm, again. They were one of the first birds I noticed here. These photos from May, 2011.  The photo after is from our visit to Batchawana Bay in 2009.



 

Flicker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


We've small, medium and large critters! The spider web on the camera lens – doesn't help the image.

 

2 raccoons Apr 14 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The cottontail is so fast. Which is a good thing. I haven't seen them since the weather turned wet and cold.

The coyotes did their thing!
 

coyotes Apr 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The pond is greening up! We've two pair of mallards and lots of mosquito larvae!

 

mallards on the pond apr 18 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It is the second time I've seen a lone muskrat. It is very difficult to spot. It swam over to the dock and then went under it. 

 

muskrat Apr 18 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Saturday's Critters # 540 <= visit more critters here!

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I remember stopping at Batchawana Bay, but that was in 2000.

Tom said...

...it's mud season here, gardening will have to wait.

Jeanie said...

That forsythia is fabulous. You always have an abundance of critters and I love them!

tz_garden said...

And now muskrats! Always fun to check on what's happening there.

Elephant's Child said...

Spring is such an exciting time of year - for all species.

GreenComotion said...

Spring is in full swing here with lots of (5" just yesterday) here.
I saw the fox, but my eyes can't focus enough to see the Wabbit :)
Thanks for sharing with all of us. Be well!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jen
Sorry I am late visiting and commenting.
I love your Flicker photo, well done.
Spring is my favorite time of the year.
Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.
PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.