Sunday 19 April 2020

How are you faring?

There is a lot of surgery that is being postponed. They wanted to interview me about my cataracts, but I declined. I said there are a lot of people worse off. I am in a lot of discomfort, but what can anyone do? They found someone else to be poster girl.

This is Robin McGee, from N.S. She wrote a book about the mismanagement of her colon cancer treatment. Book Review: The Cancer Olympics (2014). She has had surgeries and treatments since. She is having chemo in a month, due to a recent re-diagnosis, and cannot have her cataract surgery during treatment. She is afraid, as I am, of losing eyesight.

Robin McGee CTV interview
McGee is a really good lobbyist. She has had to fight so hard for her care. She found, as I did, that all elective surgeries (i.e., anything not an emergency) is cancelled across the country.


What irks me is that she, and her followers, say she has been doing excellent work in lobbying in healthcare in her province, and they feel she deserves her surgery. I couldn't get a surgical date pre-COVID–19. All of us deserve our surgeries, but they aren't going to happen.  





OK, closer to home, Nutmeg found a 'mice friend.' It's actually a mole.



Perth is pretty quiet. Good thing.



It was wonderful seeing the sunshine. Here's JB on the front porch, talking to a wasp, interested in his sweet tea.


The garden is popping up flowers. Not bad for someone with horrible eye balls. Hooray autofocus.



Can you see Nutmeg?



This tree caught my eye.



The frog pond is quiet. The trailcams have only had a few raccoons, as critters are finding food closer to their habitat. Maggie deer has disappeared, for now.  The wood ducks are in the wetland, waiting for warmer temperatures, and the promise of love!



My newest garden. I planted deer-resistant daffodils. I am looking forward to them blooming. I'm thinking it was a mistake, as it will dry out, right near the goldfish pond. Whoopsie.



The robin had a bath while I was watching.



We are watching old DVDs. Since we're old, and fading, we don't remember the mystery!


And, I shall end with a lovely video, retweeted by a Japanese weatherman! I began following him when my kids were in Japan.

13 comments:

Tom said...

...we are faring fine and I hope that you are too!

Anvilcloud said...

You poor thing. I hope you don't get too uncomfortable. I imagine that once it becomes clear that we've hit the other side, they will reopen surgeries. It must be a fine line in some cases whether surgery is necessary or truly elective. I am waiting on a procedure in pain management, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

As for mysteries, we are currently rewatching Murdoch Mysteries. They are ok but not up to Morse etc. We are still in reruns (for us) and hope to hit new episodes soon. Like you, after a time the plots fade although there are always a few familiar spots.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Same happening here - re surgeries. It's a mess. That little video was a heartlifter!!! YAM xx

Karen said...

We are holding up okay up here in the Ottawa Valley. We got out and about yesterday when it was so nice. Today is looking a little dismal so I'm going to bake tarts! And muffins. And maybe a cake or cookies. I have marathons, then put it in the freezer so we have something for desert or a treat when the mood comes over us.

Olga said...

I was planning on cataract surgery this summer but that is now off the table. I keep cleaning my glasses thinking that will help but it is not by glasses lenses that are cloudy.

I found myself talking to a spider just yesterday. When the spider responds I'll know it's too much alone time!

Olga said...

Oh, and I didn't know that about the school shootings, but interesting indeed.

Gaelyn said...

Putting off any surgery is rather sad though unless it was a case of life and death, right now I'd pass. Hang in there. I love your place with pond and wildlife.

Nancy J said...

Delightful music to start my Monday.But, really, when you are at home every day, Monday is just another day. Cataracts, I am sure by the time surgeries begin I will be almost totally blind, and even if I wanted to pay the exorbitant price of going to a surgeon privately, they will be full up too. Your jetty is out of the snow now, spring bulbs shooting, is it warmer? JB still looks very rugged up in winter gear.

DUTA said...

A relative of mine, 80, has postponed her cataract surgery, for fear of having anything to do with hospitals now. Who could blame her?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a joyful video to lift our moods. I didn’t know that horrifying fact about school shootings (do we have to keep our kids locked up at home in order to keep them safe?).... I am so sorry you can’t get your cataract surgery ... I assume that same thing is happening here as elective surgeries are cancelled.. still, you wouldn’t want to be exposed to THE virus . I’m wondering if and when dentists will reopen.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ps. It seems like all we ever watch is British mysteries. And I’m sure we could begin all over with any series and not remember the endings )).

RedPat said...

Hang in there! Hopefully this will be over soon.

Kathy G said...

I got a message from the doctor who did my last colonoscopy outlining their arrangements for performing procedures. It didn't say if they were doing them just for emergency purposes or for screenings also.