Wednesday 29 April 2020

Owl pellet, pandemics, prey report

I'll just place this here. There are protests. I hope you are well. We are managing, yet the stress is horrible. I'm having trouble reading, which drives me nuts.

I heard a CBC radio show, after getting up to clean up throw up at 4 a.m. (More on that below.) It was really interesting. How badly governments can mess up by denying illness. This has happened over history, i.e., cholera in 1892 (a miasma, or bad air), and a small town wouldn't let federal help whip them into shape. The German government was ruled by merchant elites who didn't want to close their borders. Of course, it's the poorest of the poor who suffered.  They lacked toilets and sanitation.
CBC Ideas Dear Leader
I found an owl pellet. They excrete the white mute, then throw up the pellet of fur and fine bones which could damage their digestive system. I'm going to save it for the girls, and see if they want to dissect it!



First daffy!



Soon it'll be time to put them outdoors, if it ever warms up!



Nutmeg is in the dog house. She is a wicked hunter. She brings them all to the doors to bring inside. The nuthatch she took into the office, where she feels safe. I brought a blanket with me, and tossed it over the bird. I released it out the back door.

Nutmeg has been horrid. This wee little kitten. She has been throwing up, too. It was 2 and 4 a.m. this morning, a couple of times yesterday. I'm  hoping it is something simple like worms. We'll have to phone the vet and see what we can do. They've been doing terrific curbside service. (Not that they have curbs in their rural parking lot!)



We had a parcel delivered from Lee Valley Tools. I bluebird house, and a new stand for my trailcam. The driver is a bit of a character. He told me that UPS is two weeks behind. They are trying to get them in to work Saturdays. He did a half-day, but then they wanted them to do a full 12-hour day. That is ridiculous. Apparently, people are ordering dog food and food from Costco, and they are totally backlogged. I told him that was ridiculous. Everyone needs a break.

He also told me that in this, the 7th week of self-isolation, people were suddenly out and about on the roads. We were, as well, doing my last chorus frog survey. That is done. (More on that later.) Lets see what happens in the next few weeks.

Heads up!

Clip15 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Oh oh, more cats problems.

Ours doesn't vomit. We've had her for more than a year. I think there was one very minor spit-up once.

This is very strange.

Hootin Anni said...

Our kitty eats too fast, then goes a few feet from his dish & vomits whole food He then looks ashamed and embarrassed as he watches me (or Bud) clean it up.

RedPat said...

We have noticed a lot more cars on the road here this week too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh yes, the traffic is picking up on dad's road too... very noticeable after several weeks of peace!!! Folk are just getting impatient methinks.

Naughty, naughty Nutmeg... YAM xx

Karen said...

People are going stir crazy. My neighbour was telling me he and his wife took a break from working at home and picked up some lunch and drove to the marina park to eat in the car. He said the number of people at the popular boardwalk and breakwall was crazy! He also said folks were NOT practicing social distancing. Teenagers were gathering at the benches. I read on Facebook this morning that the city is packing the benches up.
My old cat throws up frequently. If she eats too fast she throws up. And she gets fur balls, which I treat by giving her oil in her food. The other cat horks up semi digested mice and things. Now we have discovered the dog is throwing up if she eats too fast, OR, we give her a bread. It's hard to say no when you are down the crusty corner of your grilled cheese sandwich and she's giving the look.

DUTA said...

The next few weeks will indeed be crucial: is the pandemic staying stable, escalating, or what. The 'recovered' people are also a question mark - have they developed antibodies or not.

Nancy J said...

We are now in level 3, and the distance can be ONE metre, but on Tuesday there were crowds, all SIO close together at takeaway places which can sell goodies, contactless, you cannot go in. Likewise coffee places, and I did go to the local garden centre, used Paywave ( for the first time), only allowed about 4 feet inside, the rest all blocked off, only to use the card, he handled the bag of seed m\is, put it in the boot, I opened that, so no contact at all. I wore gloves and a mask, and in the street with a mask on, no-one gives a hoot, they all think " Sensible OLD lady " !!!

Out To Pasture said...

Aw, not a nuthatch!! Glad you were able to rescue it. I hope your vet can cure Nutmeg's stomach upset.

Kathy G said...

I'm used to cleaning up cat hairballs a couple of times a week. Recently the cat has taken himself into the kitchen and hawked it up on the hard surface instead of the carpet. I really hope that he continues the process.

Red said...

The protesters are very much out of line. Don't they have any patience.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad you could rescue the nuthatch!

Hope you enjoy dissecting the owl pellet! That will be very interesting!