Wednesday 22 April 2020

It is spring, right?!

It was a damp, rainy, cold morning Tuesday. Cinnamon was hot to trot and go outdoors, in the rain. Somebody let him in, and he snuggled up to have a bath on my lap.



After my morning routines, I went out to ditch dive again. It was COLD!!!! There was more graupel. The ditches are steep in spots, and I put in more time in this spot, now that I was warmed up from yesterday.



I found a hole in my rainboot. I said 'found', but I could feel the ice water seeping in. Bleh! I'll have to go back to this spot later. It was too cold, wet, and slimy!



I saw this on Twitter, posted by a wildlife agency (@NewhouseRescue):
"A baby porcupine is called a porcupette. A mom and baby together is called a prickle."



Their claws are amazing. 
We've had several taken out by drivers,
I took photos. 


On the trailcam, we had a brief glimpse of our porcupine (@7 seconds in). I have not seen it for the winter. They are like bears. They go into a sleep, and come out around their dens, venturing no farther than 100m, if it gets warmer.

trailcam from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...yep, spring is here, it snowed last night!

Anvilcloud said...

It is still miserable this morning, but it is sunny.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is a very long time since I saw a porcupine - fascinating creatures.

RedPat said...

It is quite cool here today and really windy so not a good day to be in a ditch! ;-)

Nancy J said...

Cool video, and cool down here, heat pump on early this morning. Love the terms for porcupines, who would have invented them.Stay safe.XXXX

Angie said...

Jenn - loved what you shared about the porcupette and the prickle. Who knew? Here we have ground squirrels - they disappear in August and re-appear in mid-April. We have seen two or so, but they have not been out much. That means we should not be deceived by a warm, sunny day!