Sunday 26 April 2020

Chorus frogs, osprey

 I'm feeling somewhat weepy, my eyes are horrid, and my startle reflex is horrible. I could tell the warning signs. JB suggested a drive to Narrows Lock. This was a bonus, as I'm participating in the Western Chorus Frog Survey. I can't see too well, listening I can do!

Both a Burn Ban, and COVID–19 signs. Things are fairly quiet. There were quite a few people out walking on rural roads in fresh air.



The bee hives are back out in the field, with an electric fence.



The osprey are back.


Here we are at Narrows Locks. It was so cold.



 I was shocked to hear the chorus frogs. The guidelines for the chorus frog survey said not to listen for them below 10 C. I guess this was a freebie!



The lock house is closed due to COVID–19, signage is up, and we turned around in the parking lot.



We've had a lot of wind; trees need to come down in Westport.



We sat and listened in several spot for the chorus frogs. None here.



The sign says Stay Strong!



This is a new sign: "CAUTION ENDANGERED SPECIES". I'm not sure what it'll do... people tend to drive too fast if they don't care about you or I. I'm not sure they care too much about critters.



It's a huge sign of spring to have the osprey back. This one was at Narrows Lock.



I was so surprised. We were driving by, and I heard them with the window closed.

Chorus frogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

4 comments:

RedPat said...

I can never see your videos - an old computer but I'm envious that you heard the frogs!

DUTA said...

Yes, the frog chorus sounded lovely!
I like the pond pictures with the dominant blue color.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome nature shots ~ beautiful osprey ~ glad to see you enjoying the fresh air ~
hard times ~


Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Hootin Anni said...

You're lucky to have the I osprey nesting...they leave here this time of year to return next Fall. But, even if so much is closed in your part of the world, a nice drive in the country raised my spirits. .And I'm sure it helped you a but, too.