Friday 3 April 2020

GRAMMA CAMP – WEEK 3.1

Grampa has been finding article for Josephine (gr. 7) to read. One on "the year without a summer",
Mauri life (they were to visit New Zealand this month, from my Zoomer magazine), the history of First Nations and the mapping of Canada through HBC.

Suddenly, we are back to doing Kill & Drill math sheets. I always liked them. They've gone out of favour. The teachers sent a link to a math worksheet page, but you need to know the age and stage, and whether it's two or 3-digit arithmetic, etc. I'm fine with it, but it is tedious. I wonder how families cope with several kids, and the cost of printing.

I was photocopying math pages for Jos from my gr. 8 math book. I figured out I ought to just let her write in the book. I downloaded a PDF file of answers. They correct it themselves.


Jos and I spotted two mourning cloak butterflies. They overwinter. (File photo!)


She's continuing to hone her birding skills, after our tutoring session. We heard pileated woodpeckers, robins, phoebe, song sparrows. Spring is unfolding as it should.


First one!



"It was fun playing cards with you, Gramma!" That's our Jos.
Uno Card Game (Multilingual) - Boardgames.ca
Jos and I went to fetch trailcam cards, but I thought we best look for mail first. She said she'd run it up to the house. Ah, the energy of youth!



She's the perfect height to exchange the cards.





Isabelle and I started up the water fountain. It's way too early, but I'll watch it. Our temperatures could dip below zero next week.



After this we put away the white Christmas tree. She used my cordless drill to remove the screws. We took off the branches, and packed it in the shed. It's been wonderful having helpers for spring chores.


The rain is moving in. We will have indoor recess this morning. It's unusual, as the rain is coming from the east, circling counter-clockwise.


I needed batteries, computer paper (Kill & Drill sheets!), and managed to order them online for pick up at Staples, where we do the hostage exchange!
JB tried to order a book off Amazon, but the delivery date was weeks away! Next week, Jos is going to teach Grampa how to use his kindle! It isn't compatible with our local library. That's a pain.

All the best to you and yours in these trying times.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...you still look like a bunch of happy campers, keep up the good work.

Anvilcloud said...

A crocus!!!

Olga said...

Wonderful that they have such rich learning experiences. I know my grandson really misses his friends and his science teacher -- and his grandma too.

Red said...

You haven't thrown away your old teacher stuff? I threw most of my stuff away before I came home.

Nancy J said...

I wish our grandies could stay right now, need a light bulb changed, smoke alarm battery replaced, curtains hung on a tall rail, I will be brave and do it myself!!! Wonderful to have the girls with you, hope they continue, as I'm sure they do, to have fun when learning maths and more. Another day and we end daylight saving, that is the silliest saying ever, as there are always only 24 hours in any one day!!! Guess the mornings will be even darker than before, and in a few weeks it all seems to level out. Stay safe and well.XXXXX p.s. loved your words and photos today, as always, a super story.

RedPat said...

You have fine helpers there!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
The girls will have such memories... YAM xx

Jenn Jilks said...

I passed on my teaching materials, Red. These books I bought as I was tutoring girls in a home for young, single mothers!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What great helpers.