Thursday 30 April 2020

Penultimate chorus frogging post

UPDATE: Our local vet agrees that Nutmeg might have worms, what with her throwing up and her mice friends. She ordered a pill, half today, half in two weeks. Also, don't snicker, probiotics for the little thing. She took the pill easily, JB held her, I shoved it down her throat.

JB drove in, they brought out the meds and the handheld device and he paid from the car. Our vet told us her barn cat brought home a rabbit. Nutmeg celebrated by bringing in a chickadee. I'm going to bring in the feeders as soon as the rose-breasted grosbeaks arrive.

A giggle during the times of COVID–19.


Back to our drive...

Happily, collisions are down in the area.

Chorus Frog Hunt

It was epic!

It was the last kick at the can. My assigned protocols said I'm to visit each assigned spot twice. I ended up visiting a couple thrice. I find it difficult to follow rules! I was assigned sites 300 and 301, then found chorus froggies in 4 other spots.

They will stop their spring mating shortly, and I will never see one!
We made a plan...

AWildlife Rd.
BNarrows Locks
C609 Code Drive
D202-2 North Shore Rd.

Off we went. The local market was quite busy. 


This is site  C. A private road, but it was pretty quiet, except for the chorus frogs! The ponds lay on either side of the driveway.


Site C
chorus frogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


From there through Smiths Falls. CheapMart was quite busy. I don't think I'd ever order groceries from them, and we try to boycott them. Their industry standards and treatment of staff, cheap goods, have destroyed the market for quality goods and materials.



This is site 301. (I've given up on site 300.) I couldn't get close enough into the swamp to see anything. I did hear lots of leopard frogs right near me, you can hear them in the video. The chorus frogs, as well as ducks, further out in the wetland, and you cannot hear them on the video. I was wearing my holey boots and should have brought my chest waders.

Frogs Site 301 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.



Someone is building...


I love these farm houses.



Bee keepers are getting going.



I like this spot.



House for sale!

$439,000 - PORTLAND – R6730 Also: Video tour.

It has 46 acres. A nice bonus. I think I'd want a honking big deck on the back!


As we drove, we drove into clouds.



Then, drove out of them!


I'm not sure what they are doing here. We have yet to visit this spot during an actual market day.



Part 2 tomorrow!

8 comments:

Tom said...

...I've heard that our local vet is coming out to get animals, they don't humans in the building.

Olga said...

I will steal the line from at weet for when I watch Jeopardy. Nothing says LEADERSHIP like setting all the wrong examples -- lies, inability to to admit a mistake, self-aggrandizing, failure to wear a mask -- to name but a few.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the frog sounds, great video. I saw a couple of male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks this morning. They are on the way now. I hope they stay for at least a few days. Take care, enjoy your day!

Kay said...

Thank you for the nice tour. Wow! That’s a reasonable price for the house. For that amount, you’d get a smaller house without a yard or a condo in Hawaii.

Anvilcloud said...

They make quite a racket, and you've got me realizing that I haven't heard frogs when walking by the pond this spring. I think it has become too busy and maybe too dangerous.

Haha. For a minute, I thought there really was a store called CheapMart. I go there as infrequently as possible. We did get one order of food from them when it was awhile coming from the Independent, but it missed a few items whereas the other is very complete. Besides, we can now get our order from Ind within a week.

As for Ken Jennings, when he posted that, someone replied something like, both times. :)

Christine said...

Interesting frog chorus, thanks. All the best to Nutmeg. Cheapmart cancelled our online order half an hour before scheduled delivery some weeks ago, never again.

Nancy J said...

46 acres, that might be the best part, the video gives me vertigo, they need to do a bit better, and a tent in the yard!!! But you would be so safe there , in isolation. Hope you are both OK, here we are down to level 3, some stores do contactless takeaways, but so many have breached the rules that are still in place. I long for a proper coffee, plunger is OK, but the real cafe ones are what I long for.

Karen said...

The lineups at cheap mart and the grocery store, liquor store and our little local grocery were head scratchers today. We kept right no driving.