Saturday 18 April 2020

Lots of critters out and about!

There are lots of critters out and about. It's going to be a warmer day. We've had a cold spell.


There are many critters that have come back for spring. The most exciting, I think, are the birds. This is because they are going to be nesting.

We've not had much on the trailcams. We've had wind, snow, and lousy weather. The trailcams have been pretty quiet. This clip is fun. I noticed our one turkey wandering about. If you look at the upper right, you'll see the brown creeper.

turkey creeper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

They creep up the tree, head first, unlike the nuthatches, with a similar outline shape, who creep down head first!

Brown creeper; March 6th, 2016
April 3, 2014

Another bird, phoebe. He's been singing all around the property, looking for love. I was sitting in the bathroom this morning, and could see him sitting on the tree outside the window! 
Eastern Phoebe
The wood ducks are back, as well. We're not green yet, although the grass is coming around, you can tell it is an archival photo.

My Vancouver, Stanley Park, Wood duck photo
Grackles

red-winged blackbirds

Canada geese


osprey


blue heron



For more critters:

Saturday's Critters #331

17 comments:

Tom said...

...wow, you sure have quite the collection of feathered friends.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I read the temps out to my hubby! We are so spoiled now....would not make it in temps that cold! Love the critters you've seen this week. The birds are beautiful! The Grackle has amazing colors! Take care!

Karen said...

The pheobe was really singing his song this morning. Woke me up the little devil!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We had some chilly weather lately, frosty mornings. Wonderful variety of birds and photos. I did not see one Brown Creeper this winter, I hope that is not a sign of the future. I usually see one or two on our walks. Take care! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

RedPat said...

I've been hearing a tiny bird singing a lot but haven't been able to spot it. I wonder if it is a Phoebe?
Those houses are on Roxborough W. Your old 'hood.

Hootin Anni said...

I've seen one creeper in the wild. Never got a photo!

If you want, stop by & add your link at I'd Rather B Birdin at noon (CST)

http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com

carol l mckenna said...

Wow lots of delightful birds ~ love the little Creeper ~ fascinating ~ ^_^

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I love watching birds.

Christine said...

Awesome wildlife photos!

Nancy J said...

The tree with 2 nests is this what they would call Penthouse apartments? Still cold at -2, we have had heavy rain again, one cat came in sopping wet and really wanted to be dried off, at 5.30 a.m.!!! N ow. 7 a.m. grey skies, and another inside day, just like every other.

Red said...

The critters come on their own time. If it's a late spring they'll still arrive.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Love the Wood Duck and the energetic grackles. Stay safe!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Thanks for your note re my missing photos! When I looked there were over a half dozen over the last few days that we're missing. I am going back and redoing them. I have no idea why they disappeared.

Olga said...

Phoebes are my favorites. I watched a sandhill crane fly over my driveway today.

Anvilcloud said...

what a spot if you all of these critters from time to time.

Anu said...

Hello. Great serie of birds! Wood duck and Eastern phoebe looks so beautiful. Take care!

Anni said...

I'm so glad you shared your link to this post at I'd Rather B Birdin'