Thursday 2 April 2020

GRAMMA CAMP – Week 3.0

With the timelines for this pandemic, things are changing rapidly. Or remaining the same, depending upon your point of view.

Momma and Papa continue to work from home. We have the girls. We are all isolated.


I had a chat with my girls and explained that we've gone from Gramma's as vacay, to now being  caregivers, with stuff we have to do. We can't do food treats every day, for example. We are having a great time, though.


Tuesday, March 31st

Grampa did the hostage exchange in Carleton Place. Caitlin sent some fruit. Everyone arrived home safely. It's 11 a.m., by then we'd made beds, Izzy built a fire, and the girls were playing school. Oh, the irony!

Izzy and I fetched a video and skittles.
"Gramma, I'm looking forward to when I can tell MY grandkids about the coronavirus time."
We headed off to the forest. I gave Josephine the camera.

 

The frog pond is lovely. It is melting, and spring is coming soon!



Izzy and I changed the SD cards on the trailcam.



A puddle and a girl. She didn't get too wet!



Poor old Dutch elm!



And yet... these are the ones Isabelle and I planted last fall! [Sept., 2019, We had visitors!]



She earned herself a soaker. Not in the frogpond, but picking up a plastic bag that had drifted onto our property! I sent her out to fetch the floating plastic bags. I didn't realize those were raspberry bushes. What a trooper!!!! The one bag had water in it.



Izzy had a good play outside. I had to loan her my shoes. Stuffing newspaper into her boots, I put them beside the fire.



Wednesday, April 1st




      "Hi, girls! Am I interrupting something?"
     "Yes! We're just having a chat. I moved down so that we could talk. Isabelle doesn't like it up too high!"



Josephine helped me check out the nesting box. It hasn't had any tenants. This involved the wagon and ladder.



\
Clip1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had four different breakfast times. Lunch as another story! The lunch meat was still frozen. Jos took a generic can of chicken noodle soup, added carrots and celery, while I had a salad. Isabelle had the camera!



Dolphin Tales 2 was the movie. I reminded them they needed wood. We had a plan.
A half hour in, I flicked the lights, and off they went to fetch wood for the night. Dinner was my pot roast, which I began at 8 a.m. They both enjoyed it!

Isabelle did her Zoom meeting with her Girl Guide troop. That was fun!
Josephine had a shower, Isabelle had a bubble bath prior to bed.
We fixed up the fire, and I wished them good night.




It's difficult not to worry in these trying times. We know we are luckier than most. There are about 200 laid off workers in Perth. We have access to food, although that is getting more difficult. It's very difficult for many. I wish all of you the best.

There will be one million people who have contracted it by today. I told that to JB on Monday. The trajectory is clear. I thought Friday, but it's getting worse.

The media is doing their best, but the news is strange. I read that there were two cases of COVID–19 in a local well-to-do retirement home. Next, I read that there was a 50-year-old woman diagnosed with it in Perth, but this was in an article that stated Renfrew County. I can't tell how many people in our region are affected. [Coronavirus case confirmed at Perth's Carolina Retirement Suites5 more confirmed coronavirus cases in Renfrew County]

Our local ER Physician posted this tweet. It's a good read!
He goes on:
My hospital has an enthusiastic, community-minded and innovative medical staff. Our nurses are the best. Our emergency department is superb with energetic, well-trained, highly skilled and committed emergency nurses. Ditto our emergency medical staff.
We have taken the lead time we have been provided to prepare and prepare well for what may come We are ready.
We cannot change what is to come but we can provide the very best of care to the limits of our abilities and resources.
We will rise to the challenge and deal with whatever presents to our doors.
In my limited world view, Perth is a microcosm of every emergency department in this country.  Canada has one of the best cadres of emergency physicians and nurses in the world. Canadians can have some confidence in their local emergency department and their provincial emergency medical systems. We will all do our very best for you!
Keep smiling, we'll get through this.
They continue to make us giggle.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...gramma's camp seems to be right on track!

RedPat said...

It is getting more and more scary.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Even amongst the 'official info' there is so much variation that one has to take a deep breath and pull back, then breathe again. Meanwhile, we all have to behave and make the most of our 'quiet time' - which you all are managing to do! YAM xx

carol l mckenna said...

Looks like you all know how to cope with the pandemic ~ lots of love shown in your post and photos ~ So glad you have your family ~

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

The confidence and reassurance in his words, what a morale booster to all his staff. for your girls, away from Mum and Dad, time with you, this is a massive bonus for you all. You are able to have the space, the energy and the knowledge of how to entertain, make fun of the necessary jobs, Go,GIRL, go!!! Cool here this morning, 10C, early coffee was so welcome. We are well, not going out, not meeting anyone, and are keeping very isolated. Our neighbours will have a street party today at 4 p.m. but it is so hard to shout across the street. Might just give them a wave.XXXX

Red said...

I'm sure the kids appreciate getting out as it gives them some variety.