Saturday 6 May 2023

Saturday's Critters

 How much rain do we need?! The clouds kept circling counter-clockwise. The poor, wet critters. Finally, Friday, there was an actual sunrise. It was a miracle! Today, as well!

Fred groundhog has had a good sleep. I spotted him out back Thursday, May 4th. He has come out of his burrow, and was nibbling on the grass. Apparently, he has forgotten me. He jogged away in fear, as only a groundhog can do,  as he has never seen me before!



Under the top deck are TWO nests. The robins and phoebe nest #2. 
Here are the robins, taken with my cell phone.

robin eggs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I am struggling to master my new scope. It was a gift from Caitlin! It requires some coordination. It is a really long cord (6'?), and tends to coil itself up. I think I might wrap some picture wire around the top of it to make it bend. It is tricky getting it to point in the right direction  to capture the eggs in the nest! 

Here is phoebe nest #2 ↓. I was perched on a box to snag the photo. I was happy to see two eggs.




The scope worked pretty well on phoebe nest #1 in the wood shed. Four eggs on Thursday, May 4th.


Also out back on Thursday, were three bucks. One in front of, and one beside the shed. 






three bucks in the yard from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

You can see their antlers beginning to grow. This is part 2 of the May 4th visitation! They moved around the sideyard to the frontyard!

3 bucks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Thanks fo Eileen for hosting. Saturday's Critters # 490 

Saturday's Critters # 490 


15 comments:

Tom said...

...there are lots of critters to enjoy at your place.

Mae Travels said...

All those devices are quite a challenge… GOOD LUCK MASTERINGTHEM.
best,mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
😀 Love all your critters, always. As for rain, don't even... YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

I wonder if the bucks have headaches as their antlers are growing. Not expecting an answer...

RedPat said...

That is thrilling to have the birds nesting again.

Lorrie said...

So many wonderful creatures to observe at your place!

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your critters...

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=)
I also felt sorry for the very wet Groundhog. It is fabulous that the two different species of birds have made their nests under your top deck. I hope all will be well, remembering your other visitors like the raccoon who i'm sure eats eggs! You managed to get some really good shots of the eggs with your new scope. Lovely to see the bucks in your garden which is greening up nicely.
All the best.

Divers and Sundry said...

Robins are common here, though I am still excited to see a nest. We don't have phoebes. That sounds exciting!

Kay said...

How wonderful to be able to see the eggs starting to hatch.

Irma said...

What beautiful photos and videos.
Lovely when the deer come into your garden.
Greetings Irma

William Kendall said...

That groundhog looks quite put out.

Angie said...

Jenn - good for you to capture the photos of the eggs. Just, you worry me when you say you are standing on a box - careful, my dear!

Before we left on our trip today, I saw a swallow pair checking out one of our boxes. They have done this in years past and then moved on - maybe this is the year!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You stay busy watching your critters and keeping up with everything that visits! Take care and enjoy your week!

eileeninmd said...

Cute critters, great shot of the Groundhog. Love the deer videos.

Sorry, I am late commenting! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and the rest of the week! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment!