Friday 26 May 2023

The process of cancer treatment – PART CVIII

We had to go into the city for JB's quarterly treatment. The other 3 treatments are done here in Perth, a happy effect of COVID protocols. 

It poured all morning, then the clouds moved away. Happily.

 We left the house at 12:45
, arriving at the kid's house in an hour. I'd bought a tap, which had the handle on the wrong side. JL took it home to undo the nut for me. They'd left it for us, and the deed was done! It added to the trip, but was worth it. Both of us got out of the car and stretched a bit. 

From there we motored on to the Ottawa General Hospital. Man, I've not forgotten city driving, I did fairly well. I learned to drive in downtown Toronto, where I lived. You have to be so assertive in the city.  (I did vent about a driver doing exactly 6 km and hour UNDER the speed limit.) People were frantically passing them. 

I dropped JB off at the hospital at 2:15, he grabbed his mask, and needle. I returned to the park where I waited. There are several people who do this, I've noticed. Why go in the hospital, when I can sit in the fresh air? 

The first thing I tried was a selfie, to let Caitlin know we'd arrived. You can see the puddles that remained. It was cold and windy, but lovely in the car in the sun. I began fooling around with the phone. I accidentally began sending an SOS. Whoopsie!

There were dog walkers to watch. That was fun.

I tried a panoramic image, which failed. I did manage a video of the doggies. You can see my thumb. It is a learning curve. Old dog new tricks! 🦮

         

dog walkers from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I amused myself listening to the radio. Then decided to play with my phone some more. I managed to capture an eagle and a plane. The blue skies were wonderful. Archive photo for fun! I should have brought the zoom lens. I've often found birds here.


Time passed. By 3:30 p.m. I was getting worried. They've been faster (and slower) in the past, these appointments.



Eventually he returned. They didn't realize that he'd brought his needle for the injection, as has been the case, and after reports being taken by the intern, they found a nurse to jab him. The doctor said that he could continue to have his needles with our GP in Perth, and then do a Zoom interview once a year. He has, they estimated, another 5 years when the Lupron will continue to work. 


I set Gillian GPS for our stop, the restaurant, and then for home.

We stopped at Swan on the Rideau for an early dinner, 4:00. Only 6 men at the bar. We were tired and hungry. We couldn't sit in our usual sun room off the bar, as they were expecting poets at 6 p.m. We were anxious to eat and get home. 

The woman who sat us ignored us for 5 minutes. I could see her chatting to the new staff as the shift was changing. She happily served the men at the bar, but she didn't even come over for our drink order. JB checked his watch, and said to give her 5 minutes. She came in the nick of time. I would have been happy to toodle on to Smiths Falls for fast food.


We ordered hamburgers, a safe bet. JB said no cheese for him. I asserted no dairy. She returned, and had forgotten our order. She was reminded and, she said, no cheese. Our water and wine arrived, placed on the table a new server. Our order came, delivered by said server. His hamburger had brie on the hamburger. She took it back. He ate his salad, I dug in. It came back shortly.

Service was less than stellar. We won't go back. It's not as if they didn't expect people. There were reservations at 5 of the tables, for large groups. There were 4 servers behind the bar area.

This is the bridge which took us towards home. By now it was 4:51. I was having stomach cramps. Not good. They lasted 24 hours.

The marina:

I'd had a glass of wine with dinner. JB was able to drive us home from here, a good halfway point. Long, straight roads, where speedy people can pass. Driving through North Gower, you could see sprouts growing in the fields.


Our world is changing for the better. JB noticed a board at the hospital explaining pronoun protocols. I checked the hospital website, and staff wear badges that state theirs. You need not guess, and you can have your pronouns respected. It's a good read: A few words make a big difference: A guide to personal pronouns

I had some great conversations with our gr. 8 and 10 granddaughters on the weekend. People are more likely to be accepted for who they are. Some students are identifying as they/them, with the self-esteem to correct staff.  'Gay' is no longer a slur at their school, as it was when my kids were in school, when I was a teacher. That takes self-advocacy, and I am really impressed with their generation. Yes, there are pockets of anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment, but there have been improvements.

Happy doggie in Smiths Falls:

We arrived home at 6:45, and rested. I was watching the temperature, and it kept falling. By 5˚ C. I brought in my baskets. They are doing really well, all things considered. I popped them out in the morning warmth.


We were so happy to be home. The next meeting will be online. The next injection in 3 months in Perth.

Thursday morning I was awake at 6:15, for no reason at all. JB slept in until 8:30, but went back for a nap at 10:30. It really is draining, these marathons. 

I was glad I'd brought the planters in! 

19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So it's done again...and sounds like for the last time in the city. Or maybe zooms doesn't refer to injections/infusions, which I wonder at. But my confustion is because I woke up at 6:30 which is way beyond my comfortable time. Anyway, sorry about your stomach cramps...from possibly that burger, you think? Love the new hanging planter's flowers!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well, a full day, for sure! Picking out of it that JB is doing well and this is the silver lining to it all!!! YAM xx

Kathy G said...

Except for the poor service and the stomach issues it sounds like a great day.

Tom said...

...city driving isn't a favorite for me.

Bindu said...

That eagle is so good! Also, happy that JB can get shots closer to home.

Jeanie said...

Now THAT is a long day. Wow. Well, I would have gone to the park, too. And I love the selfie. But that restaurant.... you probably stayed longer than I would have under the circumstances. I hate it when guests are ignored because the staff is talking -- and in obvious site of the ignored guests. Then to mess up the order... Bad on every level. I can imagine you were exhausted when you arrived home. Definitely draining.

RedPat said...

You can cross that restaurant off your list of places to go.

Elephant's Child said...

A very full day. I am so glad to read that it might be the last trip to the city for that purpose.
Love your eagle shot, and a big sigh at the lunch debacle.

DUTA said...

All's well that ends well, as they say. The main thing, JB IS ok.

Lorrie said...

What a busy day! Glad the injection went well and you can avoid the trip next time. Too bad about the service and food at the restaurant. Maybe it was empty for a reason!

Cloudia said...

Bless you honey. Blessings

Christine said...

Awful restaurant service very disappointing

William Kendall said...

A long day. I think it's been several years since I was around the General. Certainly before Covid.

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about the Swan. There’s no excuse.

Mae Travels said...

With all the stress you described, a bad experience at a restaurant seems to be the last straw! So sorry you were mistreated. It's tempting to just carry food when one drives somewhere, and avoid the hassle.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad to read JB is doing well for now. Laughed that you sent an SOS on your phone. Another reason I don't own one, but I like your video of the dog park. It sounded windy.

Too bad about the bad food experience. I know that feeling all too well.

Nice to read your GDs are understanding about the LGBTQ+ communitity. I read the pronoun link you sent and was delighted to read it is being accepted where you are. We are horribly divided in the states.

I LOVE those carousel horse book ends!!!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

what fun. i enjoy your new hair style. that is new to me, right??! happy to be home after a quick trip to Selkirk, NY. what a blast. i am 45 and a few days. time flies. always young at heart. big big hugs!! ( ;

Red said...

the medical appointments are a stressful day. At least JB knows what the routine is for a year. I really dislike servers such as you had . they seem to have the knack of showing up just before you're ready to leave.

Divers and Sundry said...

These kinds of medical days can be quite stressful, and a food stop afterwards sounds nice. What a shame they treated y'all so carelessly. I don't blame you for deciding not to go back. There are plenty of food places willing to serve.

They are handling the pronoun "thing" in a common sense way it seems. It takes so little effort to avoid offending folks.