Saturday 20 May 2023

Saturday's Critters

I had to share this. I was walking by the frogpond to fetch trailcam cards. Right here, I flushed a timberdoodle from the edge of the water. You'll have to use your imagination. The American Woodcock (AKA Timberdoodle) is flighty! I wanted to mark the spot to look for a nest. 



It is nesting season in southeastern Ontario. It is a delightful time of year. I've two nests under the upper deck. [ 🐣ROBINS 🐣PHOEBE] Also, the 🐦Wood ducks are nesting on the back 40. I walked back to check, and flushed her from the nest. Figured I might as well look. I was pretty discouraged, as I've been hosting Wood ducks since 2014!

 What do you think: 12 eggs? They are known for having 6 – 15 eggs. They will incubate for about 30 days. This is a screen capture of the video


The flicker watches as I walk by... they must be nesting, as well. 

  

Flicker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Next up, roaming guest Pepper. – on both cameras!

 

Pepper May 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The 🐣HOUSE WREN  began by filling the green bird house. Their songs are delightful. They like to fill the nests to keep out larger birds. Also, to hedge their bets, I'll bet.
I won't be able to see the eggs, if they end up nesting here. This is how they stuff their nests.


Now they are filling the bluebird nest box! 

I think she is pregnant! They could give birth any time.

 

pregnant doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've massive amounts of purple and white wild violets, the dandelions are out, things are blooming! Here are the bleeding hearts.

 Bumbling around the dandelions!

bumble bee from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I prepared this post Friday, and after lunch ventured out. Not too many bugs, as the wind is terrific. The phoebe nest under the deck is active. I think this is the cowbird egg that hatched. I am loathe to mess with nature. I suspect the one egg in the other phoebe nest is a cowbird, as well. 

phoebe hatching from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Visit more critters here: Saturday's Critters # 492. Thanks to Eileen for hosting.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Lots of critters, videos and photos. I love the deer and flicker videos.
Those House Wrens are busy birds with their nests. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Tom said...

...what is a timberdoodle?

Jenn Jilks said...

A Timberdoodle is an American Woodcock, Tom!

Anvilcloud said...

All sorts of life.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks to Tom for asking and getting answer...of course I could have Duck Duck'd it...rather than google. Sorry about that dear parent of so many of the apps I use, google-master. Timberdoodle does sound liek a good name however. So many new lives out there in the spring. It's simply overwhelming, though I know some of them will eat the other's young if they get a chance.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
fabulous name, Timberdoodle!!! YAM xx

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

A timberdoodle...I will try to remember that! Love the nest and the photo of the Flicker looking out. You have SO much wildlife there!

Elephant's Child said...

Such a vibrant and exciting time of year.

William Kendall said...

There is no mistaking the movement of a cat.

Kay said...

This is so neat that you have such a variety of birds you can watch.

Jeanie said...

12 eggs and bleeding hearts! WOW. That's a post that makes me smile.

Red said...

Interesting time of spring when birds are nesting. I can tell that you hope everyone of them nests successfully.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I had the good fortune to find a Woodcock nest a few years ago. I watched daily until the eggs hatched and got to see the young birds for a couple of minutes from a distance.

Shiju Sugunan said...


I enjoyed browsing through these. Great post!

NatureFootstep said...

how lovely to have o many nesting pairs close to you. Being able to follow the young ones when they hatch :)