Friday 19 May 2023

Birds abound!

 I am ready for a warm up. I think we are over the dip in temperatures. 



I am sad we had to put the feeders away. The bear was early this year! I try to keep them up until I catch sight of our birds who've returned to the area for nesting. This was a lovely surprise. I was sitting in my chair, and took this, hoping for the best. The rose-breasted grosbeak sat on the widow thermometer – looking for a feed. He landed on the hummingbird feeder, but didn't seem to be satisfied!

They are beautiful birds!



The kids helped me put the wood duck nesting box up on the back 40. I was pretty discouraged, since there are no ducks nesting on the frogpond. 

May 18th I checked, and lo, and behold, duck eggs!   My other two boxes are empty. I flushed her when I approached, I didn't know they were there!
May 18, 2023

wood ducks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Houston, we have a problem. The handle hits the wall and I cannot turn it on!


I happily planted Emily with pansies. They are pretty tolerant of cold weather, and I left them outside. Sadly, someone has nicked the blossoms. I put out the trailcam, we'll see if I get a perpetrator.

Could this be the culprit?! I hadn't seen him for a few days. he was grinding his teeth on the wood.

fred from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I wandered down the driveway, and found a pair of deer.

doe a deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Tom said...

...it's difficult to have too many birds.

William Kendall said...

I wouldn't put it past a groundhog to do so.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I am now officially in love with Fred! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I’m glad for you that you have a duck family.

Elephant's Child said...

The rose-breasted grosbeak is gorgeous. Love the signs of new life you are seeing. It is minus three here as I type.