Thursday 18 May 2023

Frosty morning

 I rolled out of bed Wednesday, and checked the thermometers. It was 1 C., and I'm glad I brought the hanging baskets in. The Weather Network said we were at 0.  Today we are a cold. There is frost out back in the yard. Out front we are good. I remember the year we had a spring frost which took out a lot of the milkweed. 

Thousands of people were without power in the Ottawa. Ottawa Hydro never seems to give totals, but if I click on each red bubble and total them up it looks like 12,784 homes out of power. They came back up shortly, but not a good morning to be without power.


Then there is out west. Wildfires have displaced tens of thousands of people. Climate Change is real, peeps. 


🐻 What else is happening in Ottawa? Well, Ottawa has a bear in Centrepointe, and twin cubs in Bell's Corners – not too far away, where the kids live. Bears are on the move.  I'm glad I put the feeders away. The girls are playing it safe, avoiding the park going to school. 

Ottawa police put out guidelines. This has worked for me the once I came across a bear in the forest.

I brought the plants in, Cinnamon supervised. I put them out for the day.


Caitlin's wool baby blanket worked! 

I overturned a pot on the impatience. They came out well.

Outside the garage, another overturned pot did the trick. You can see the one leaf that I didn't tuck under, and it was rather wilted. I removed the pot, the sun came out, and it warmed up to 12 C. yesterday.

🐣 I did a walkabout, bundled up, for sure. The robin had 7 eggs, I could see two hatchlings, and only 2 or 3 eggs. I wonder what I will see today...


I think the robins will do OK, though. We have many, some have already fledged. Venturing down to the meadow, I encountered a juvenile robin, and its parents. They yelled at me from the trees, afraid I would hurt their baby.
 

Robin family & bugs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The other nest under the deck, the phoebe nest with 4 phoebe and one cowbird egg, is still intact.

I'm wondering if a weasel or the fisher has been about. The phoebes nesting in the shed are missing 2 eggs. There were 4. 

 

I tried to recover my saw, embedded in the tree branch I was trying to cut down, but failed. I'll need a larger ladder. Sigh. Another project for the To Do list. 

If a tree falls in the forest...  

 

14 comments:

Tom said...

...a frosty morning here too. I'm glad that I haven't planted yet.

Anvilcloud said...

I put the furnace on for an hour or so thins morning. I don’t know if frost settled anywhere.

Olga said...

Ahh, springtime in the north. Delightful to see the robin family.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
We are getting those very cool nights, too... but the days are starting to show promise of better days... YAM xx

Jeanie said...

I love seeing your nest! We had that same frosty morning -- maybe not QUITE so much, but we are farther south. It makes you wonder what summer will be like!

Barbara Rogers said...

We were supposed to have storms 2 nights ago...such that some neighboring areas did have enough bad weather the weatherman broke into my watching Jeopardy. Never got to see Final Jeopardy, and with my eyes so blurry I couldn't find it on YouTube from another network. I'm sure it's out there somewhere! But life goes on! I've put my plants back out from shelter on porch. Geraniums on the hanging hook by the door, to drop petals all over the place all summer. But I love them.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's _so_ much warmer here in Memphis. Our low last night was in the 60sF.

Baby robins are such cute things, aren't they. All baby birds, really, but I have a soft spot for robins :)

William Kendall said...

The same in the city. Cool nights and relatively cool nights.

RedPat said...

I haven't planted yet. Lettuce grown from seeds seems to have survived.

Elephant's Child said...

Minus 2 here as I type. It is still dark but there will be a frost. We are heading for a top of 14.

Yvonne said...

I would be taking the biggest whistle with me as far as bear run ins are concerned. I'm glad I don't have that worry on my plate. Overturned pots and buckets do work wonders preventing frost damage. I'm glad yours worked for you. Nice Robin video. A baby robin siting in the back yard seems to make the world a better place for a bit.

The Furry Gnome said...

Heavy frost here, big fans on in the orchards.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Brantford Airport said 0 but my thermometer said +3 and we had no frost on the ground. Yes, the furnace was back on.

Red said...

I hate frost at this time of year. Nothing is prepared for it.