Tuesday 30 May 2023

Black flies, Butch, Fred, Maggie, and other tails

I've been pacing myself with my tenosynovitis in my foot. It is a repetitive strain injury on my upper foot, first done in 2011. Ice, rest, and a foot brace help manage it. Plus, TLC from hubby! Sitting on the back deck has been lovely. Finally, the mosquitos aren't active there on the deck. The blackflies are another story. I've oozing welts on my arms. You don't feel them land, and they are horribly itchy. You don't even realize they are there. 



🐻 Hunting Seasons  🦃 

I did go to the back 40, to the duck nesting box Saturday morning, wrapped up with bug spray on. While there, I heard the neighbour hunting. Apparently, it is bear (May 1 - June 15) and turkey (Apr. 25 - May 31) season. I like to know, as it prepares me. There are turkey hunting requirements in Ontario: you can't bait them, or call them. They are required to have a licence, and report their kills. Our new neighbour was out hunting Saturday morning and I heard 3 shots. He proudly posted the photo, offering his outfitting services. I worry about Black bear hunting season, as I enjoyed seeing our black bear on the camera. 

The lilac bush is amazing for action. As I sat on the deck, the robins landed in the bush, as well as the phoebes and the hummingbirds.  Lately, I've noticed two female cardinals in the tree. One chased the robin awa. The robins are busy shoving food into hungry mouths. A female cardinal came by and chased them away.

I've done some work on the front garden. Funny story, I spray painted my garden fencing. It is a barrier to keep my lilies in the garden, as they fall over. I spray paint them just for fun. I leaned them up on the fence. Thing is, I had a brain fade and reached to move them, and sort of forgot that they were wet. I scrubbed with the brush, and had trouble getting it out. I had to throw the brush out! Baby oil worked to get it off me, and time! 

There is Fred, watching me. You can see the remaining bed frames leaning up on the fence, this is my repurposed fence strategy. Placing the two rails I'll put up some string later. 

May 18th, I realized the wood ducks have taken up a nest into the box we'd moved. I accidentally flushed her, thinking it still empty, and she took off into the wetland, landing and taking off to safety.


  

Wood ducking from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Having set up the trailcam, I realized she is too fast for this camera. I may just monitor the action. 

 

That said, I wonder if Bear will find it. Butch raccoon certainly did. May 25-26, The wood duck is sitting on eggs in here. Butch raccoon knows it, I'll bet. I realized I'd have to tip the camera up a tad. Hit and miss! The baffles baffled Butch. 

Butch is busy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Finally, Maggie magnolia has bloomed. The chicken wire protects the blossoms, sometimes. This one I'll leave alone, as it will break if I touch it. (I learned that last week!)


We think we've bumble bees who have moved into Fred's burrow under the deck. More on THAT action later! Have a wonderful day.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello

I like your new header photo. I hope your foot feels better soon.
Are there that many bears that they need a bear hunt.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...I HATE black flies!!!

Anvilcloud said...

I hope the nest is safe. Although I do want the raccoon to be fed too. 😀

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice balance of nature happening there...except those black flies.

William Kendall said...

The only good thing about blackflies is they don't last long.

Karen said...

In 1977 I got lost at Bon Echo park and got BADLY hit with black flies. As a result, I'm extremely sensitive to them. My dear old Dad was the same. He would forget his bug spray at the beginning of the season and get attacked, setting him up to sensitivity until they were done. They are awful DEMONS.

RedPat said...

There is always so much going on at your place.

Elephant's Child said...

Your poor foot. I hope it feels better soon. No blackflies here. Which I am grateful for. I am also grateful that hunting is banned where I live.

DUTA said...

Great Header!

Cloudia said...

You live such a rich life. Thank you for sharing it with us. Sure hope your foot feels better

Red said...

No bugs here yet but don't worry, they'll show up.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! Those black flies are horrible. And here I thought I was suffering with mosquitoes. I never feel them biting either.

Kay said...

Oops! That was me, Kay of Musings. I’m using my iPad which just won’t identify me with comments. Sigh…