Sunday 7 May 2023

Crumbly Acres is bubbling in the spring!

What a glorious day! I got some much garden work done Saturday. But that sunshine! Our plumber arrived Friday, and she fixed our outdoor and the indoor shut off taps. It was great. I've an outdoor tap, again. We've never had a female plumber. She was great. It's been two weeks the tap has leaked. They are so busy. I think it would be a great job.

Cinnamon, for some reason, sat atop the tree house in the morning. Maybe he was watching for the squirrel! He was out an hour and then was ushered indoors for breakfast. Monday the arborists are supposed to come and clean up our debris. 


🥚There was a robin's nest in the shed. I'd left it open too long, and Robin moved in. Bob brought me back my tractor, all tuned up. He backed it in, closed the door. We bought it in 2015: That was a busy day!  I noticed there was bird poop on the seat. There were three eggs in it, but no bird. A bit of a mystery. Bringing the nest out from the ledge, I had the brilliant idea of popping the eggs into the other robin's nest. It was all I could think to do. They may not be viable, having sat in the shed for several days. Robin now has 7 eggs in the nest. I'll keep you posted...

 The tulips are wonderful. So far, just the ones beside the house, warmed and sheltered, are blooming. There is more to come, however! Well, so long as I put up my deer fence. I started that, after weeding.


The lilac buds show the promise of spring!

I worked hard outside in the sun. It was lovely. My metal crow sculpture looks great. I spray painted it black afterwards, as it needed freshening up.


 

The bird bath is looking great, as well as the goldfish pond pump is bubbling nicely. Percy was a little more lively, since it has warmed up. I fed him some goldfish food. He hides under the floating pieces of cedar until the water lilies start growing to provide shelter. 

percy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There is a lot of work to restarting the water fountain. I had to take it apart, as the pump wasn't working. The different sections are progressively heavier as you get to the 3rd section. I cleaned out the pump itself, as there was some dried algae blocking it. I have a light dress I wear, as I usually get soaked. In fact, I set the hose down on the edge of the bottom level, and mistakenly set it so that it released the handle. I got a spray of water in my face. You just have to laugh.

 

All cleaned, I began reassembling it. Look who was hiding in the bowl. I yelled but didn't scream!

dock spider from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I took a break for lunch, pondering the issues. There was nothing for it but to take it all apart, again. The hoses get kinked, and there are tricks to it. Finally, all was good. No sign of the spider, although I kept checking! The mosquitoes are out. 


The daffodils out back are doing well. I did a lawn tractor run around the daffies, and evened it all out, mulching as I go. It is wonderful to get outside! The rest of the lawn should soon be covered in wildflowers. 

We had our first hummingbird! 

18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, springtime upkeep for all your lawn goodies. Wonderful to see, and read about. Have a good rest of weekend!

Tom said...

...Crumbly Acres has come to life.

RedPat said...

Sounds like another busy day at your place. I was hoping for sun today but it is raining.

Elephant's Child said...

Goodness you were busy - but soooo productive. I hope you were able to save those eggs.

Nancy J said...

A walk with you in your garden, beautiful.You are a trooper to do all that outside work, love the circle of daffs, and those deep tulip colours, glorious.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It is great to get in the garden. I managed to do a bit today too, the rain kept away and it was quite warm this afternoon. You gave me a reminder that I should do something with my metal sculptures as they are decaying fast.

Cloudia said...

Wonderful

William Kendall said...

Things have woken up.

Red said...

Keeping a yard that is enticing to wildlife takes a lot of work. Great that you set up yard where creatures can hang out.

The Furry Gnome said...

I had a Robin nest in the garage rafters two years running when I left the door open on those beautiful spring days!

River said...

Percy looks healthy and a good size, is he alone in there?
Why does the deer fence not just stay up all year so you don't have to put it back up each spring?
I like your water fountain.

Rainbow Evening said...

love to see tulip blooming and hummingbird...
thank you for sharing beautiful photos and descriptions

Irma said...

What beautiful photos and what a large garden you have, really great.
We have to make do with a balcony that was bigger than the garden we had in our previous house.
Greetings Irma

Patio Postcards said...

Crumbly Acres looks like she is putting on her Sunday Spring best & showing off. Everything looks lush. I must get my Hummingbird feeder out today! I would still be screaming at finding that spider.

Anvilcloud said...

we’ve also had both of our outdoor tap replaced, and along with a few other jobs, it costs a grand.

For a very fleeting instant, I almost had the abortionists coming to yours today. 🤓

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My tulips have come and gone. Your weather is a bit behind mine. LOVE that fountain.

Divers and Sundry said...

Spring looks like fun in your world. I love your fountain! Good luck to the robins. I look forward to updates :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Looks like you've been really busy! Hope the robin's eggs are okay in the other nest.