Sunday 14 May 2023

It is Mother's Day here!

Happy Mother's Day to everyone! We all do some mothering here and there. The kids are visiting for a sleepover, more on that tomorrow!

I have more work to do. I forgot about some bulbs I pulled last fall. Silly me! I shall have to plant them today. They were in cold storage and I found them looking for something. 

The lilacs are nearly out. 

The wild violets are out in their white and violet! The dwarf iris are out, as well.

 

 Fred is being a pain-in-the-butt! I crept around from the front door, around the house, to sneak up on him and grab a better photo. I was wildly unsuccessful.



I had to climb up on the deck, and eventually he came out again. As I sat and watched for him, I spotted a fisher on the back 40. It was too fast for me. 

You can hear Fred Groundhog chewing and banging on the lower deck later in the clip!

Fred groundhog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.



I shall have to block him from the deck. I know he doesn't live here, just hides. They hibernate for 3 months or so, and in spring this area was flooded with spring melt.



It was a fun afternoon in the sunshine. We tried to watch for him to leave, and he did, but I was too slow. The mosquitos are bad on the back deck. This is highly unusual. 

He disappeared, and I could hear him gnawing on the wood. He's not a beaver, he eats greens, not wood! OK, they can eat bark, but why?! They are a subgroup of the squirrel family. They can swim and climb trees. 

Fred May 13 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


13 comments:

Tom said...

...I hope that you had a wonderful day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Mother's Day. Loved seeing Fred. Lots of chewing in his life.

William Kendall said...

I've seen some lilacs in development here.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh, that Fred is just far too cute for words! Looks to be very settled and not bothered at all being watched! YAM xx

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Fred looks like he would be fun to watch. Until he dug a hole where you do not want it or chewed through something.

Anvilcloud said...

I wonder if it is going to be a bad year for mosquitoes. I was outside for a short while yesterday, late afternoon, and they were quite fierce. I don’t remember them being like that here at this time of year — or any time for that matter.

DUTA said...

The violet flower is beautiful! Enjoy the visit of your family!

Jeanie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jenn. Lovely flowers -- and Fred is looking good!

Daniela said...

How lovely to come and visit you today, thank you for everything you've shared!
Have a joy-filled day
Xx Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Mothers' Day. And good luck on catching a photo of the elusive Fred.

RedPat said...

He likes playing with you.

Cloudia said...

I know you will get that rascal!

Olga said...

Have a good Mather's Day.