Sunday 21 May 2023

Gramma Camp Long Weekend!

 Friday morning, Cinnamon was intent on watching Fred Groundhog. Note the bugle?!


Cinnamon cat and I were watching Fred. Cinnamon was murping and bumping me, hoping to much me into letting him out to play with Fred. He knocked over the bugle, which hit me!

Fred Groundhog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


🎂 Caitlin is in Vancouver with her brother and family for his 40th birthday. It is a long weekend here in Canada. JL has a bachelor long weekend. We have the girls. Off we went to the hostage exchange. We were driving down our driveway, when I remembered the phone. Grampa parked, and I ran in. When I came back to the car, this is what I saw! Grampa thought it was a comment on his backing up skills, but it was not!

mosquitoes from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Off we went through Perth. It was getting busy for the long weekend. It is traditional to open up the cottages in May, although I think that has changed what with more people living here full time, and people visiting in 3 seasons, if not four. It used to be the ritual with 2-season cottage where water had to be shut down.


Things are greening up, as they should. 

At the Hostage Exchange, things were looking a bit worrisome. We knew a storm was moving in, but not until Saturday.

We visited briefly with JL at the hostage exchange, then took the girls to Law and Orders for dinner. But first, I gave him some homework! I cannot undo the nut on my new connector. He promised to do his best. 

There weren't any bugs, which I'd worried about! I posted the photo of Izzy on the family photo stream, and Caitlin said this is a new shirt for Isabelle! Both girls, and their friends, are avid thrifters. It is amazing how suddenly they are beautiful young ladies.



We shared the fast foods, hamburgers, chicken wrap, Mama dog, poutine and onion rings. What a treat! 

This guy had a t-shirt we didn't understand. I had to Google it! Turns out it is a quote from The Roc! His t-shirt simply said, "FIRST TWO YOU GIVE. LAST ONE YOU EARN." Of course I had to Google it!
Dwayne Johnson

 Isabelle had asked last weekend if she could make us dinner on Saturday, Josephine offered to be her sous chef. Grampa and Iz will shop on Saturday!

We knew rain was on the way. With that, and the horrid, more than usual bug population they asked if they could help with anything in the house. They are lovely girls! They are off to New Zealand this summer. They plan to meet up with Jean, which will be wonderful.

We chatted in the car. It was fun. Izzy texted her friend, who was at a birthday party! Ain't technology grand?! Josephine told us about her competing in the West Conference 2023 Junior Women's javelin throw. She originally came 5th, the highest in her high school peers ranks, but in subsequent semifinals couldn't increase her distance. She will compete in the East/West finals next week. We are proud of her! This old Gramma competed in gr. 7/8 in shot put at the Toronto school competition, back when dinosaurs ruled the earth! She's a chip off the old block! Grampa explained that he ran in the 100, 200 and 400 races back in his high school days. A discussion ensued. Jos thought about the distances, and asked if it was 100', but Grampa explained it was yards! 

Home, they put together the new mattress. I was going to make it a surprise, and show them the screen shot (below), suggesting they have to sleep on the floor, but that didn't work out! I blew it up, and put it down by the highway. Someone took it. I didn't even have to put a "For Sale, $50" sign. That guarantees someone will steal it! There is a slow leak. It is a wonderful solution for all of us. There is a motor built in and you just plug it in and set it to inflate. 


Jos was doing homework, Isabelle preparing for her shower. I asked Jos, with a smile, if she needed help. (Remember Virtual School?!) I heard 'No, thanks!' from both of them. I explained I was talking to Jos! They are independent self-sufficient girls who do their own lunches, their own laundry.

In the old days, Izzy would turn up her music while in the shower. It was a ritual. No music this time. I went to the door and asked if she wanted music. She said, "No, thanks!" 

    "Aw. I was going to sing for you!" She giggled. 

We watched a couple of the Jeopardy! Masters games we taped. Our Canadian, Mattea Roach, has been doing well. We were all tired, and went to bed to read. 

What a lovely visit!

13 comments:

Tom said...

...you pack a lot into your day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Too bad there isn't a market for mosquitoes. Maybe for scaring away vampires somewhere. Glad your girls visited. Such fun. I am a big fan of Mattea Roach. Haven't found the Masters Jeopardy yet...I bet it would be good.

Olga said...

Hostage exchange always makes me smile.

Jeanie said...

Gramma camp sounds like a wonderful time for you and I know for them -- it's an experience they will never forget! (And I love Fred!)

Anvilcloud said...

L&O would be a good stop if one was going by, but we found out one day that it is not worthy of a destination visit.

Elephant's Child said...

A WONDERFUL weekend.

Nancy J said...

August seems so far away, but I am guessing the days will fly until I meet your family!!! Excitement galore down here. The mattress, what a fancy mode of transport. I wonder if he is a street dweller, or if this is for extra guests. We also had one that had a slow leak.Similar type with the motor built in.Huge flooding in our little township and surrounding areas, hoping the water has subsided today. We are safe and high and dry.

RedPat said...

More great family memories for you.

William Kendall said...

We had quite a downpour in the city about an hour and a half ago.

DUTA said...

I like it that the girls are self-sufficient and independent. That's how it should be. The fast food looks very yummi!

Red said...

Amazing how fast Grandkids grow up.

Christine said...

Fun times

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to be so late visiting. This was not a good week in my world. I'm not whining, just explaining that my GOOD hand hurts, as does the rest of my body due, in part to my inability to breathe due to the winds from the wild fires in Canada and in part from overworking at my friend Sally's house on Thursday when I brought in 200 lbs of cat litter she had ordered from Amazon. Then today I can barely sit because of a muscle I pulled in my back from carrying in the litter. I wish I had time to catch up because you are SO good at leaving comments, even when I am not at my computer.

I laughed at Fred Groundhog. He is a cutie. I HATE mosquitos. You sure had lots of traffic.

Law and Orders. What great name for a restaurant. I had to look up poutine. Gosh it sounds delicious. Caitlin's shirt is lovely. I am also a thrifter.

I've watched all the Jeopardy Masters. Mattea is doing quite well. I was rooting for Amy, but she has been eliminated.

Got a laugh from the mattress. If you put it out, someone will come along and take it. Have a great week, dear Jenn.