Wednesday 17 May 2023

So many critters!

Spring is our season for birthdays. Grandie Cluny in Vancouver turned 8 on May 16th. She had her ears pierced! 

 

As predicted, it went from 24 C. Tuesday morning, to 14 by the afternoon, and it just kept on getting cooler. This morning it is 1 C. and we shall see how the plants fared. We didn't get the rain, and the clouds cleared out.

 The lilacs are out! The smell is wonderful. I was walking around the garden and looked around trying to figure out what the fragrance was. Silly me! With the mosquitoes, I prefer to find some archived photos!


Speaking of which...

I used my scope to check for Fred. Still no sign of him. This is under the lower deck. This is a good thing!

The orchid, indoors, is doing The Dab! Do you remember dabbing?! 

Whoopsie! I misread the pickled asparagus recipe. It says to eat them BEFORE two weeks in the fridge, not wait 2 weeks to eat them. They are yummy. I used to grow veggies, and pickled things. I simply do not have the patience now. I bought 5 bunches, used 2 when the kids were here, sent them home with another, grilled up some more. Oh, YUM for fresh produce.

I'd been down to the trailcams, and had to go back. There is a branch damaged in the storm, blocking the way. I took my handy tool, which promptly got stuck in the tree. I cannot remove it. I'll need a ladder and another saw. Remember the mosquitos? I might wait a day or two, as I hurt my foot, again, working on it. 

That for which we've been waiting: trailcam captures!

May 12th was a busy time. First, the porcupine:

 

porcupine May 12 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Another visitor is Chad Coyote:

 

Chad Coyote May 12 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

A bear came by May 16th. He was here in October, 2022 getting a back scratch (I believe it is the same one!), and used the same tree. The twerp went after a neighbour's tap lines, and chewed them. Fortunately, tapping season is over and they've time to work on and repair it. But, what a pain! 

Bearly there! from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


12 comments:

Tom said...

...I'm not a fan of mosquitoes and let's throw in blackflies too.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Positively teeming with life - welcome or otherwise! YAM xx

William Kendall said...

It is neat to see a bear up on two legs like that.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm guessing tap lines were for collecting sap for maple syrup etc. Great to see that huge bear just scratching his back, rather than being interested in your trail cam! So great to have connection via internet to take part in celebrating your 8 yo geranddaughter.

Divers and Sundry said...

The last several times I tried to cook asparagus it was dreadful. I don't know what I did wrong :( Maybe I'd have better luck with pickling...

RedPat said...

The bear creeps me out wandering around there in the dark.

DUTA said...

Happy belated Birthday to Cluny! Congratulations on the ear piercing!

Nancy J said...

I had an email from Caitlin !!!! Woohoo!!!! Look at that bear.

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another amazing collection of photos/videos. Thank you.
It is 0 degrees here and we are going for a top of 14.

Cloudia said...

Dabbing is now a way to do cannabis. Happy birthday! Have a wonderful day! Jenn

Red said...

You've had some nasty weather. Your plants should be fine.

Jeanie said...

Your little grand is so lovely. I hope Fred surfaces.