Tuesday 23 May 2023

Gramma Camp Long Weekend

 Sunday, May 21

Papa was hosting a party of coworkers Saturday afternoon, but Izzy texted him to get the recipe for the yummy breakfast buns. First, we put them in the oven overnight to rise. Then 375' for 10 minutes or so. She baked them Sunday morning, and they were yummy. 

Caitlin is visiting Jess out west, and we did a Facetime with them. The three-hour time difference is tricky. Momma was awake, on Ottawa time, and had a visitor in her guest room! Later on, she babysat for her brother and SIL, while they went out on an anniversary date. 

Both girls worked on homework on Sunday. Josephine helped me work on the deer fences. Then, she went back to homework! It's not too bad, the fence. Grampa and Izzy had bought the stakes for me. I'd sent them for 8' bamboo stakes, but these will work! 



The netting is from Lee Valley, and is really invisible. 


While I was out back, I'd noticed a tree frog on the swing bench. Josephine brought it to the front yard, and put him on the lip of the bird bath.


After we were done, Isabelle came outside to see the frog.

She used her phone to take a video!

tree frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I think I fixed Fred, by putting Emily up on a stand. Yesterday I posted a video showing Fred eating the pansy blossoms. Take that!




I took advantage of the sunny day, and fixed the pond pump for the umpteenth time! It's good to keep the old girl busy and off the streets! Percy is still hanging in, all alone.


Maggie Magnolia has not yet blossomed. It's fun see people in warmer climes with magnolia that have bloomed and are done. It is highly anticipatory! I just have to remember to fend off the bugs and go see it.

I even checked my old garden, which I have neglected.

I did a walkabout on the frontyard. The lilacs are lovely. Those are small catalpa trees I transplanted are leafing up in the foreground.

Checked on the 🐣ROBINS. I don't see any eggs, but I didn't disturb them too much. We'll see how many they have hatched.

I checked the shed 🐣PHOEBE eggs, and one of the remaining two had hatched. Only the cowbird hatched in the nest under the deck. There are four phoebe eggs there, still.

Under the eaves off the middle deck, I found a wasp nest. I decided to get it down. I showed the girls.

We were watching TV and spotted a woodpecker on the hummingbird feeder! It was the rose-breasted grosbeak last week! 

Oh, I wish I could have my feeders up. This is why I cannot. Bear visited the trailcam, again. BIG itchies! 5 p.m., Sunday, May 21.

Bear from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It was a great weekend. I am so proud of our grandies near and far. Four granddaughters! 

Caitlin arrived home safely on Monday afternoon. The week begins again. 


11 comments:

Tom said...

...you run a great camp!

Jeanie said...

You've been so busy -- and I know the girls just loved their time at Gramma Camp! Well done on the wasp nest -- I'd want that out of there, too!

Karen said...

We had a tree frog in the downstairs bathroom the other night. Mike thought it was a piece of tissue and went to pick it up, SURPRISE! I put the tomato and cucumber plants out during the day so it probably hitched a ride. He's back outdoors now.

RedPat said...

It sounds like a good time was had by all.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
One part of me is loving that you have a bear on the acres... the other part is hoping there's no strife because of it! YAM xx

William Kendall said...

I imagine scratching that itch feels really good.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Gramma camp always sounds like so much fun. (For the attendees and the hosts as well!)..... Yeah, I think it's a good idea not to feed the birds while the beasts are active in the area ))

Elephant's Child said...

Gramma Camp sounds amazing.

Christine said...

Great weather

Red said...

You are finding all kinds of critters in your yard.

Divers and Sundry said...

Magnolias here are blooming. Such a wonderful scent!

I love the frogs :) The only thing that comes to our hummingbird feeder other than hummingbirds are the house finches. We only get the rose-breasted grosbeaks for a few days as they migrate through our area. I have such mixed feelings about cowbirds :(