Wednesday 3 May 2023

Rainy Crumbly Acres

💉JB took off for his quarterly PSA blood test. The poor man had to come home. They did not have a butterfly needle. He schedules the appointment first thing in the morning to get it over with.

He was told to come back after lunch. At 13:00 hours, off he went. He had to stand in line, along with drop ins and people with appointments. His leg was getting sore.  They should have had 3 staff working, and there was only one. One nurse was on lunch. The one nurse would do intake for a couple of people, and then do the lab work, and see to another two people. Slow as molasses. At least it is free for us, despite the company being a for-profit. 

Yes, Red, I heard gunshots. It sounded like someone practicing. This is what I thought. This is the country, and it is what some people do. I loathe it, but there you go!

☔While I complain about the rain, it cleared up Tuesday morning, and I did some weeding. I put the bird feeders away. I don't want to risk bear coming back. We are back to rain today, Wednesday. The Ottawa River is quite high, and we could do with some sunshine! 

The storm is still moving counterclockwise!

You can't even see us on the radar today!


The Periwinkle is blooming!

Cinnamon must miss Percy! This is a fish with batteries. He slept there for a couple of hours and every time he rolled over, the fish would wiggle.


Three 🐣ROBIN eggs, and 3 🐣PHOEBE  eggs in the shed! This is my handy paint roller/mirror I Macgyvered to watch over the eggs. 

The phoebe nest looks great. I just cannot quite see into it. The eggs are teeny. This egg is from 2013.


We seem to just have one red squirrel, but barring name tags... The little twerp was eating the new leaf shoots on the horse chestnut tree. Next, he is cleaning up under the bird feeder.


Ah, bright yellow tulips!

Monday, I needed to get out and during a break in the rain, off I went. I fetched the SD Cards, and wondered what was dropping onto the surface of the frogpond. Yes, you may laugh. Yes, it was rain. How could I be so slow?!


Across the pond, you can see the trees beginning to grow leaves.

The large white pine at the other end of the meadow. There is a puddle in the middle of the meadow. 

It is beginning to go green.

The water is quite high, nearly up to the dock.


You can see the height of the water just 4 days ago.

Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...this sure has been a rainy week.

Kathy G said...

It seems to me that if it was the medical office fault that JB couldn't be taken care of at his scheduled appointment he should have been able to go to the head of the line when he came back.

Barbara Rogers said...

Are you still feeding ducks on the dock, or has Butch decimated their dinners? He's sure nice and fat.

RedPat said...

It feels like we have had a month of rain.

Gaelyn said...

I love the wildlife around your place, and that you get to watch it. SPRING! Bummer for JB.

Elephant's Child said...

Lots and lots of rain - and new growth starting to happen.
I hope that JB's procedure finally went through without a hitch.
Love that cat toy.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh dear, what a shame they didn’t have the correct one. We’ve had some rain here too, and it’s gone downright chilly! There will be soup for dinner tonight. The periwinkle is a pretty flower and I love the purple color. A cute photo of Cinnamon with his little fish. Loved the birds nests and eggs, so tiny! Naughty squirrel and I hope he doesn’t take a liking to those gorgeous tulips :) Do you have trouble with the deer eating them? Fun to see the video with the raccoon. I hope your rain lets up soon.

Cloudia said...

Hang in there! Cinnamon! I'm going to say prayer for your husband. It was shocking and sad to hear about Gordon Lightfoot. Sounds like he grew up right around your area and loved it deeply. His music is running in my head and probably will all through the weekend. Blessings my friend!

Jeanie said...

We're having the rain too. I'm sorry you're still hearing gunshots. I suspect it's how you roll -- at least it's not the range. Hope the blood work comes out well. Off for a few days. See you next week!

Red said...

It looks very wet . You could do with some sunshine or send some rain here where it's very very dry.

William Kendall said...

He's not a twerp, he's a cutie pie!

Kay said...

Cinnamon looks so cute snuggled on the wiggly fish.
Butterfly needle? I'll have to look that up. Sounds interesting.

Anvilcloud said...

There were many at the urologists yesterday. Most were drinking water. I suspect they were there for ultrasounds. I did not have to drink water for my cysto.

Divers and Sundry said...

What beautiful tulips! Such bright, cheerful spots of color.