Friday 4 February 2022

⛄Winter wonderland!❄

 I know some of you wonder about our grandkids. Isabelle (gr. 6) is a social girl, and she's happy back in school. It is a new semester for Josephine (gr. 9): science (in French), gym, math, geography (in French). She finally gets a locker, too. They've had to carry their coats and stuff with them everywhere in the school. 

We talk lots. Thursday morning we compared our Wordle scores. That was fun!

❆The snow was quite something (5 cm). It rained first, and then snowed on top of that. The snow stuck to the tree branches. First job was doing the sidewalk. The trick is to wear layers as you warm up quickly. It's great exercise and I enjoy it.


The sun was peeking through the clouds. We've more snow overnight, I'll have to get out and do it all over again. 






JB took me for a drive after chores. I was quite excited to see a flock of starlings. Maybe they know spring is coming soon? 


There are ice fishing huts on the lake.

The farm is quiet.

The birds have been active, especially with the snow storm. This was a photo fail. They are so fast. I laughed. 


To answer your questions...
  1. I'd forgotten about gators, Jean. JB has a pair and he dug them out for me! We've more snow overnight. I'll probably shovel, rather than snowshoe. 
  2. No raccoons right now, RedPat. They sleep in the depths of winter, rousing if the temperatures rise. It's more a torpor than hibernation. I haven't seen one since mid-December. 
  3. I do get Louise Penny's newsletter, Jeannie! 

While I was using the snowblower, I discovered that there is a button to flip which heats the handles. Who knew?! We've had it since 2015. Seriously! 

13 comments:

Tom said...

...it's better to learn things late than never.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
This is a fabulous series of photos, Jenn - very atmospheric. And heated handles for the blower... that's as decadent as heated seats in the motor! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

It was pretty on trees yesterday, but I have pretty well mothballed my camera for the time being.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for you snowblowing and snowplowing away! I am glad to hear you enjoy some of this white stuff, and I really enjoyed the beautiful photos.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Those cardinals are hard to photograph because they move so quickly that by the time I got my camera on them and focused they have moved on.

Shoveling definitely requires layers. My wife got me a electric heated vest for Christmas. She asked if I was going to use it while shoveling and I said oh no, it will get too hot too fast. We had more snow overnight so I get to do round two today.

I love how you revel in the cold and snow. I don't like it. The roads were too icy to get to the woods. Snow in the woods is magical.

RedPat said...

Heated grips on the snow blower! Wow.

Karen said...

We had the snow Wednesday but missed it last night. It's a winter wonderland out there with the brilliant blue sky and the fresh white everywhere.

Nancy J said...

Heated handles, that makes it so much better. I love the way the shute can be directed left or right. Maybe soon your spring will come into action, down here we are hoping for rain today and anything cooler than 34C will be so welcome. Lockers, we had small ones at High School, but from memory were not big enough so I had to jam in all the books and a coat too.

William Kendall said...

All that snow is my kind of weather.

The Furry Gnome said...

You've got quite the winter wonderland there!

Red said...

You are getting lots of good exercise.

Lorrie said...

Such beautiful snowy photos! Rain and snow mixed can be a mess, but it looks good there. Have a good weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lot of snow!
It looks lovely in your photographs, quite a winter wonderland.

All the best Jan