Saturday 19 February 2022

Wind, rain, snow, and lots of birds

First up, a ton of wind and rain. It made momma bear and baby bear tip over, and exposed the piece of wood. 

That was a day, yesterday. I sat on me arse, clapping with glee, watching the police round up and move truckers and protestors from the Ottawa anarchy. Yes, we'd had 20 cm overnight, but I was riveted and cheering for all the Ottawa residents affected by this insanity. Over 100 arrested, including ringleaders, 21 vehicles seized, and many streets cleared. Only one accidental injury, despite scuffles. There were police from as far away as Vancouver, as well as municipal services from all across Ontario and Quebec.

I decided bird watching was the thing to do, whilst I monitored the action in Ottawa. The birds were busy. It is snowing, again, and they seem to know. There was a flurry of feathers.

Not just birds, but dratted red squirrel (DRS) provided some entertainment. It kept popping up, like a Whack-a-mole game. Cinnamon was fascinated. It'd run up the tree, eat some of its scrounged food, then run under the snow in its lovely safe tunnels.


The cats were exhausted, snuggling in the same bed. The snow had flown onto the front deck, Cinnamon lasted about 20 seconds out front. By the time I went out to shovel, some had melted in the sunshine. 

Finally, when I saw the sunshine, and felt the need to work on it, out I went. The first run was interesting. The ground was warm from the rain, and some of the snow melted, with heavy, slushy snow at the end of the driveway. 

It was very pretty. 


I was happy to get back indoors and put up my feet as the sun did its best. 


For more critters, visit Eileen's Saturday's Critters #427!

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love your pretty birds and the cute squirrel. You still have lots of snow there. Cute kitty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...winter can be a mix of weather,

Anvilcloud said...

I understand that one section has been completely cleared.

as i watched some lie feeds, I was struck with the patience of the police. As the protestors sang O Canada, I tough how lucky they were to be here and not in many other countries. What irony.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The comment I left yesterday was the last one before my internet and phone went offline. Our winds weren't quite as strong as the video in the post below, but they were pretty brutal. 60 mph sustained, gusting to over 70 at times. With a sick kitty, I could have cared less about going out. You are SO brave and weather hardy. Loved seeing the snow blower in action and those cute cats who for once decided warmth was better than being outside. BTW, mine never go out. Please take it easy the rest of the day, Jenn.

Phil Slade said...

We had two hours of snow today. Then it stopped, the sun came out and now there just slush and muck. Hooray, that could be it until next winter.

Jeanie said...

So glad they are getting things taken care of in Ottawa. Love all the bird and snow photos and of course your beautiful cats! Keep cozy!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that bird watching is a great antidote to the madness in Ottawa. My daughter, who lives there, will be so happy to see the streets cleared again.

Mae Travels said...

Margaret Fuller, a 19th century woman writer, once said "I accept the universe." That is how I feel about squirrels. Ralph Waldo Emerson said something like "she damn well better accept it." But he couldn't have said "damn"... Anyway, squirrels.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Great news on the truckers.

Nancy J said...

I am so glad the police have finally managed to arrest some of your protestors, to tow the huge trucks might be a bigger problem. Still a LOT of snow, you are a trooper to get out there and shovel it away.

RedPat said...

We are still watching the action from Ottawa! It is good to see.

DeniseinVA said...

Love the photos of your cats, birds, squirrel and deer, and snow. Hope everything gets sorted out soon with the other stuff.

William Kendall said...

DRS whack a mole is funny to see.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It definitely looks like a good time to stay inside and watch the feeders! You have so many birds and critters there to watch!

Lorrie said...

I had the television on more than usual for the past couple of days and am so glad Ottawa is getting cleared out. I'm afraid that the division in our country goes deep, and pray that we can come together once again.

Breathtaking said...

Hell Jenn, :=) Watching the birds and the poor little squirrel deep in snow, from inside the warmth of your house was a good decision. I also have many Greenfinch at my feeders. Do I see a little bluebird, I love those birds, not found where I live. Oh, I have just seen at the bottom of your post that it is in fact a robin, another beauty.
I hope the deep snow melts soon.
All the best.

NatureFootstep said...

nice winter scenes :)