Sunday 6 February 2022

The whistling door!

We'll see what today brings. Maybe more snow. After my blogging, and morning workout, I go out and refill the bird feeders. It's a bit cold out. Our poor kids in Vancouver had a night of honking horns downtown. This anarchy is mighty disturbing for those near and far. I felt so badly for them, with two young girls there. The kids in Ottawa aren't near downtown, happily. 

I taught social studies to elementary students. They understood the difference between federal, provincial, and municipal responsibilities. The feds control the border, and with the US demanding vaccine certificates, Canada has no power over that. The RCMP are in charge of Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

The provinces control the provincial police (OPP), also healthcare and, therefore, vaccine by-laws. 

The local Ottawa police are charged with maintaining order in the streets. This has been difficult due to the sheer numbers of people, trucks, and (mostly) white trash out there wreaking havoc on the streets. The Ottawa Police (with a history of nepotism, racism, and abuse of female officers) are asking for tow trucks capable of towing large trucks. It is chaos.

It is discouraging. JB has been happy watching curling, and other 🏂Olympic sports. It's a break. 

I've repaired this door, putting in a new door sweep last April: home repairs. I could hear it whistling on a windy day. The wind bringing in a very, very cold draft. 

The old weatherstripping is old (maybe original – 35 years old?) and built into the door. We're in need of a new door, with better framing, but I'm still arguing with Canada Revenue and had to pay them some money. 😓

This stuff didn't work. I've tried it before. Tricky stuff to work with. 

I sent Joseph Brian in for some polyfilla. 


That didn't work so well. How about flex seal? 

I thought about something soft, that would fill the gap. A craft supply. We've limited colours. 




It's not a pretty job, but it's not whistling or leaking as much frosty winter air. 

I had more success reattaching the dustbuster. We use it often. Both of us seem to have the dropsies!



11 comments:

Tom said...

...I always thought that Canadians were a civilized bunch. It seems that the Americans have rubbed off on you!

Anvilcloud said...

This chaos will have to be thought through carefully to deal with it better in the future. After a week in Ottawa, I think it is army time, but that too has to follow a chain or protocol.

Karen said...

Ugh, we have drafts too. I found some peelable caulking for the window. Right now Mike has his coveralls hanging over the door on the east side. We need to replace that door but the whole wall is wonky so is it really a can of worms we want to open? In England a lot of houses have heavy drapes over doors!

Cloudia said...

Seems our trash has gone north of the border to stir up your trash. So sorry! But all they're doing is motivating good people and I am very hopeful for the future.

William Kendall said...

I don't think I can take much more of this.

Christine said...

Very disturbing the protest in Ottawa.

Lowcarb team member said...

"but it's not whistling or leaking as much frosty winter air."
That's good :)

All the best Jan

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

My son is fascinated by the honking going on. I guess that I assumed that it just at the capital so is it everywhere? Shocked that the normally mild mannered Canadians are so riled up but it sounds like a segment of population that is easily led.
I'm loving watching the Olympics. Canada sure holds their own in the Winter events. And of course, they are always among the most stylish particpants.
That foam weatherstripping drives me crazy. It never quite works the way I would like it to and easily comes off. The foam is also problematical if it is the kind that expands and gets hard.

Red said...

The idiots(demonstrators) on the street are pathetic. Yes, they missed everything in elementary social studies. They also missed reasoning and value judgements

Out To Pasture said...

Utter madness to protest vaccine requirements. Can't understand their thinking at all. Ah, leaky doors! Come spring I intend to go door shopping. (Sigh)

Jeanie said...

I've been watching BBC News -- it looks terrible up there. COmpletely idiotic, too and what a pain for those in the area whose lives are being disrupted.