Saturday 12 February 2022

Saturday's critters

 Thank you to those who tell me they enjoy my videos and my critters. I'm needing a little love this week, as do many. 

Cottontail has been a hoot. 

They know the feeder has a bounty underneath. cottontail front yard  


It's a popular spot. Posting the photo to our family photostream, I asked for feedback, commenting on the spots. Josephine suggested we name it Tres, Spanish for 3, as it has three spots on its back.



We cannot ignore the brazen red squirrels. They give me a chuckle, with their little paws clutched together in front of them.

I could sit outside and try for a new photo of squirrels, but as I wrote this there was horizontal snow flying, with rain falling in the late afternoon. It is 2˚ C., and tonight we expect a quick freeze down to -22˚ C. with a cold front moving in.

One climbed the chestnut tree, another followed closely behind, and chased it. Squirrel #1 ran to the end of the branch and launched itself onto the next tree.

I chucked out some of the chestnuts I'd saved from the fall. They weren't interested then, but now that food is a little more scarce, red squirrel is interested.

This squirrel demonstrates the tunnel system they have made. It is so cute. There is lots of fallen birdseed to clean up. Everyone can share. Bunnies in the night, squirrels and birds in the day. red squirrel  

For more critters, visit Eileen's Saturday's Critters # 426!

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the cute bunnies. The squirrels do not go hungry, they always seem to be able to find the food. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
All much preferable to the wildlife that entered my sister's home this winter... her hubby waged war and landed a victory against that rat yesterday... YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

This cold spell will be relatively short.

Tom said...

...lately I'm just feeding squirrels.

Barbara Rogers said...

Super to see all these little ones enjoying your bounty, and then we get to enjoy watching them on your videos! I can't believe how many blogs I now read from Canadians! It must have to do with cold winters! Hope you stay around here in blogland during warmer times too!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

We have bunnies here. They hang out in the shrubs next to our mailbox. A hawk likes to perch on the mailbox from to time, I guess looking for them. When the garbage truck comes it makes a big racket and the bunnies scatter.

In the backyard we have a bunny hole in the fence. I have put my trail camera on it but haven't captured an image of them yet.

RedPat said...

Love the squirrel and its tunnels!

Nancy J said...

The tunnel, what a laugh to see his head pop up on the other side. Heaps of snow, and on the bird bath,and sitting on the huge pile of snow, they are so cute with little paws holding whatever they find to nibble.

Tom said...

...Jenn, you may enjoy this.
https://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/2022/02/so-let-me-get-this-straight.html

William Kendall said...

You have so much critter company.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh I love the bunnies ~ we used to have them ~ Your trail cam videos are so fascinating ~ thanks ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Red Squirrels are feisty little creatures. Whenever I see them get into a dispute with a larger Eastern Grey Squirrel the red squirrels are always the victors. We are pausing our bird feeding for a while. Visitors are always welcome but not a couple of Brown Rats which is what has been showing up of late.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like all you pix and videos. I think I realize how much work goes into it all! Take care.

Christine said...

good videos!

DrumMajor said...

I'm getting cold just looking at your winter landscape! I noticed the 3 marks on the bunny too, and hoped it wasn't old injuries. Your critters seem to know about timed admission to your backyard. Linda in Kansas

Shiju Sugunan said...

The first video is my favourite this week.

Jeanie said...

The squirrels are so funny -- they seem to be leaving my feeder alone and just ground-feeding now, so I'm tossing out some nuts for them when I have them. Love your bunny. I've seen six this winter, getting a head start on my annual count. (Well, who knows if some are the same -- I go by sightings but having the spots makes for good ID!)

NatureFootstep said...

always fun to see the white eyes in nightshots :)
You have red squirrels? Did not know ou had them in your area. Our squirrels, in Sweden, are the red ones.