Sunday 13 February 2022

I was on a mission

I'd visited the 'back 40' in December, Forest walkies, and noticed that the porcupine had worked on a tree. I should have been checking it out. On warmer days in winter, I've read, they will emerge from dens and lumber about 100m away for food, hunkering back down in the den in the cold night. 

 Off I went. Lots of signs of porcupine! 

The coyotes were active in the forest. One rabbit went to heaven, minus its rabbit's feet. Coyote tracks nearby gave me a clue.

Friday morning, when 2/3 trailcams didn't reveal any critters other than JB, I thought about it. 

The back 40, you amble along the part, through the aspen grove, into forest, and then the wetland is beyond.


I wandered around. It is horrible walking. With knee-deep snow, despite following my snowshoe tracks, and the deer tracks, it's been warm enough that you step and sink suddenly. Not good for an old back. 
Some trees have been attacked by pileated woodpeckers, with chips lying on the ground. The porcupine trees are quite distinct.

I went back there, having thought it through. Walking all around the trees, I did not see any tracks. Perhaps they are following the heavily trod deer trails. I inspected the spot, spotted more trees with bark damage, and placed two camera up. The camera that require 12 batteries was only at 55% power as I couldn't find any more rechargeables. Trailcam #1only takes 8 batteries. I shall cross my fingers. 

Isn't it pretty? This is looking out over the wetland. It's a little hillock. It occured to me that porcupine might be coming from the wetland, or the den is nearby.

Non-mental note: here is trailcam #1. Stay tuned. I might get something, I might get nada. Camera #2 is off to the right, focused on a path to the neighbour's sugar bush that the critters follow across the frozen wetland.

Good news, at the house. The spruce tree, wrecked by the LDD moths, has buds. I am happy to see this.


Fat Head has been moved to the feeder stand. 

Pileated woodpeckers. They are beautiful birds. I heard 3 or 4 one day in summer down at the pond. These are photos from other years. 

I found a sign of the pileated woodpeckers. 


Feb. 12th, 2˚ C. when I got up at 6 a.m., 10:30, it was -6˚ C. It is a tad cold this morning. It rained the night before, and went from 2˚ C. to -22˚ this morning. I'll bet the batteries are fried. I will have to venture out there and see what I have today. 

11 comments:

Tom said...

...I remember years ago at Boy Scout camp that the porcupines loved to chew on the outhouses!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We are having some snow this morning, a few inches is on the ground from overnight. I love your Pileated Woodpecker. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Anvilcloud said...

Sunday morning: it looks inviting out. Ergo, it’s cold.

Karen said...

I have a VERY old cedar up my back 40. The pileated woodpeckers have turned it into a condo complex.

Gaelyn said...

I so love visiting your "yard" with the naturalist you are. Should be giving tours. ;) Hope you catch the porcupine on camera.

Nancy J said...

KB over at Romping and Rolling leaves some of her trailcams out for a long time, only collecting the memory card after the worst snowfalls are over, so I wonder how those batteries last longer? I know one of hers is a Reconix, not sure about the others. Deep snow, like soft sand, not easy to walk in, don't get bogged down.

RedPat said...

Stay warm up there today!

William Kendall said...

I am quite fond of pileated woodpeckers.

The Furry Gnome said...

Hey, nice shots of the Pileated!

Red said...

You mention the porcupine might be in a wetland. I've seen a porcupine occupy a beaver burrow into a bank. Water had gone down and the burrow had been dry for years.

DrumMajor said...

You have more endurance than any Hollywood movie director. I didn't know the woodpeckers and porcupines could be so destructive. Looks like they could kill a few trees in a few years. As often as you're out, you should have maple syrup trees. You could check on your syrup pails at the same time you check your trailcams. Linda in Kansas