Monday 7 February 2022

Snowy days and critter tracks

 The snow is pretty. If it has to be cold, the snow cover is lovely. We have escaped much of the freezing rain of yesteryears! 

I've not had much luck with trailcams. This one, #3, has an internal battery. It's not going to recharge without getting some sunshine!


This is trailcam #2. I could not remember where the heck I'd set it up!  No wonder I couldn't see it.

After I'd plowed the driveway, twice in one week, I spotted coyote tracks going along the drive. This was the day we had rain, followed by the snow. I could see tracks in the 5 cm of snow, on my first pass down the driveway. They'd been filled in and covered with snow. When I removed it, their tracks stuck in the frozen rain water.  

The oak tree still has its leaves. They should shed them during January and February.


The front step I usually do first. As with the coyote tracks, the cottontails tracks are there, as well. Just not on my camera. 

We were down to 25% propane in the tanks, according to the meter. 

It's been cold, and I have not made many fires. When the girls were here, they kept it going for warmth in the basement. I was happy to hear the truck backing up our 100m driveway. Mike is a happy man. I showed him where I'd trod a path with my snowshoes in preparation for  propane delivery. Mind you, that was 10 cm ago. Sadly, he was tall, and had to duck under the chestnut branches through knee-deep snow. I apologised. He wasn't worried, with his big boots!


The trailcam was placed at the end of the driveway. You saw the coyote tracks↑ from the other day, I was so excited, bringing the camera indoors to both warm up and check its batteries.


The critters often use the driveway. I know this. It's just so much fun watching them. They take the path that is easier to walk, for the most part. 

Our Vancouver family was busy doing errands. It is difficult catching up with them with the 3-hour time difference! I did get a lovely voicemail from Bryony, or Cluny, it was hard to tell!
Our Ottawa family is doing well. They've rented a hot tub for the month of January! They were out walking at the conservation area, and fed the birds. 
This is Josephine's photo from her iPhoto account! It is so iconic. 


9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yeah we didn’t get our usual January thaw which always gave me the headache of chopping up the ice on the driveway. I prefer the deep cold to that. Happy Monday to you.

Tom said...

..you do a great job with your snowblower!

RedPat said...

It feels like the snow will never end and not much is melting here.

Nancy J said...

Oh, that glorious snow, when once I thought I would so like to live where snow fell regularly.Now, after reading your blog each day, realise it is not for the faint hearted, the older, maybe frail people, so I will dream on and enjoy your trailcam videos, the photos, and the snow blower4 doing a magnificent job!!!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

only a bit of snow this year so far. we did see some flakes of snow (a bit of sleet as well) today ...nothing stayed around though. you enjoy. i love it. thank you kindly for sharing. it makes my kid at heart happy. so fun! i would love it. i think of my Canadian friends often. i can not imagine. take care all you family u spoke of, well u included. but other reason, u know what i mean i hope?? lol. ( ;

William Kendall said...

That last shot is a joy to see.

Crafty Green Poet said...

We've not had any snow so far this winter.

Your snow is very pretty and makes tracking animals much easier!

eileeninmd said...

Lovely winter scenes. Our snow has melted and I am thankful for some warmer temps. Love the cute chickadee. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Jeanie said...

I don't have a space for a trail cam but I think they're fun. We have a ton of snow here but it looks like you might be having sunnier days! Love the bird in the hand!