Thursday 24 February 2022

Bird bath, ice rain, and snow

 What a miserable morning! Rain, freezing rain, frozen rain, and Wednesday morning it snowed on top of all that. Coffee was called for. With parliament cleared, we are breathing easier in Ottawa. PM Trudeau has rescinded the Emergency Act, and we will hope the 4 breakout camps, on private farmland 100 km outside Ottawa, will slowly disperse. It's - 17 C. in Ottawa, I hope they go home soon. Numbers are dwindling.

COID–19 seems to be slowing down. There is that. However, Joseph Brian was right, Putin waited until after the Olympics were over to attack Ukraine. Russia and China are hoping for world domination. The Kyiv airport is abandoned. No air traffic. I feel so badly. 

JB went downstairs for a workout, and put on the TV for the cats. (He opened the curtains!) I put the globe feeder here. It attracts black squirrel, red squirrel, as well as the birds. The squirrels are their favourites, I believe.


It was pretty dreary! Droopy trees were sad to see. I turned my light out at 10:15 Tuesday night. Awake at 5:30 a.m.

Then, it began to snow.


The birds were busy, awaiting their turn at the feeders and the bird bath. Can you spot them?!

The feeders are pretty, in a weird sort of way. We still have them today, Thursday, as we are in a deep freeze. 

Then, the deer arrived. They were covered in snow!









The cardinal is a bright spot in the day. He glared at the chickadee!


We had a reprise of  🐻SNUGGLE Bears!


There was a bit of a panic attack. The water was freezing over in the bird bath. This isn't good. Bringing in the heater, I popped it into vinegar water and cleaned it like mad. Placing it back into the bath, it did not do the job. I watched it for a half hour and it was obviously not working. I had to drain it.

I ordered a new one for pickup. We'll go for a drive to Almonte once the order is ready.

Under the feeder, the birds were happy for food. At this point, unable to muster the energy to walk on the frozen snow, I placed the trailcam on the ground. You can hear the rain dripping from above.

 

11 comments:

Tom said...

...the Twitter post sums things up!

Anvilcloud said...

I am meeting a guy with Ukrainian genes for coffee today. He still has extended family there. How sad.

Penelope Notes said...

The people of Ukraine are enduring chaos. Those around the world who can open their doors to peaceful scenes are fortunate. Fortunes can change so it is sensible to appreciate moments of serenity but not always easy when you know others are suffering.

William Kendall said...

The cat watches the squirrel with great intensity.

I saw Bob Rae addressing the UN yesterday. That's when I figured it must have started.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Pretty cold here also, not near as you of course. I need to check into a bird bath heater as ours is frozen solid.

I'm just heartbroken for the Ukraine. What an outrage Russia is pulling off.

We got our own clown convoys starting up in the US. They want to shutdown the beltway in Washington DC.

DrumMajor said...

Hope your sliding glass door has bullet proof glass: your kitty looks ready to pounce right through it to catch the squirrel!

It's all so beautiful. Looks like the deer got some snow when sleeping where ever they were.

Wonder how long hot coffee would last on the bird bath. Nice of you to order a new heater.

Stay warm and safe yourselves! Linda in Kansas

RedPat said...

The creatures must love you.
I am avoiding news today - can't stand to hear of the horrors.

Lowcarb team member said...

You have so much snow ...
I always enjoy seeing the beautiful cardinal, such amazing colour.

All the best Jan

Nancy J said...

I cannot watch the Ukraine news any more. The feeder, guess the birds have to hop under the icicles, that is so pretty. Keep warm, we had a heralding in of autumn this morning, a cool 10 Celsius in February!!!

DeniseinVA said...

Good to hear things are slowly getting cleared up there and that’s a great quote. I find myself shaking my head every day at the news. In the meantime, I enjoy your photos very much, they cheer me. Your cats are keeping guard, the icicles on your feeders have an eerie and pretty look, they remind me of jellyfish but that’s just my brain running again, and always wonderful to see those deer and the birds. Good to see the Snuggle Bears and watching the birds in the video is very relaxing. Happy Friday to you Jenn and wishing you a great weekend.

Jeanie said...

You make snow look so beautiful! Love the deer and animals. So glad Ottawa is under control now and that Covid is easing. Here, too, but I'm not letting my guard down. Take care. Ukraine. Making me very sad, and very worried.