Sunday 9 October 2022

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Here it is Thanksgiving Weekend in Ontario. We will be on our own, as Josephine is nearly better, but still taking it easy with COVID. She is mending! 

Thank goodness for our acreage on which to wander. 

The day began with a sighting.  JB was looking out the bathroom window and spotted a grouse! You can sort of see it through the screen...sort of!

 

They are beautiful birds. This one (below) hit the front window Nov. 2014. I think it was being chased by the hawk. It hit with a loud thud, moving quickly. I felt so badly. The colours are lovely to see.
 

I was booked to have my Spikevax last Thursday, the one that has both COVID and OMICRON fighting capabilities. JB had his two weeks prior. I was booked, but I was throwing up (anxiety?) and wisely cancelled until this week! Off we went to Smiths Falls. 




It was 10 minutes. My arm was not sore. I had zero symptoms. What a relief! When I had booster #1, I was in bed 4 days and lost 8 kg., sick as a dog.

It's a mass of colour. We will enjoy it while we can.








Soon the locks and the Rideau Canal will close for the season. Tourists will go home, boats will get on their coats.

It's a pretty drive, with homes, farms, and a variety of people.



I was asked if I ate the horse chestnuts I gathered, but I do not. Thing is, not even the raccoons like them – and they will eat anything! (Except chestnuts!) There was a chestnut explosion:



I love the colour and texture of them. The raccoons did the same thing in October, 2021.

 

Somebody went out and bought himself a new fall jacket! The weird thing – there was a cigarette butt in the pocket. 

I put up a feeder, as the chickadees were searching for it. 


The lady beetles are looking for shelter!


I've gotten out my pooter. You can suck on the short end, and place the long hose beside the unwanted bug. There is a mesh over the one end and you suck the bug into the jar, where it remains until you put it back outdoors!


While I was trying to capture the goldfish, the lady beetles were buzzing, and they were biting. Needless to say I did not sit out and read that afternoon.

lady beetles from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

22 comments:

Breathtaking said...

Hi Jenn :=) Interesting post, with lots to see. The colours of the trees are glorious, and your photos are lovely. I like your hubby's new jacket, but a cigarette but in the pocket is really strange. My hubby had a jacket just like it, with a fur lining and he wore it all winter long. Cute bug find, but I still can't fathom how your gadget sucks them up.
I'm so glad you did not have a nasty reaction to the jab, and it's good to know your daughter is recovering from having Covid.
All the best.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful fall leaves! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's always sad when a bird strikes a window. Often it is fatal for the bird for even those that are able to fly off often have a broken bill or internal injuries. I was leading a walk yesterday, and passing by a restaurant with glass partitions on their patio, a Myrtle Warbler flew headlong into the glass.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry to hear your lady beetles bite. Our lady bugs don't, and are welcome to kill other pests (aphids I'm told) in gardens. They do look like cousins. Don't let any of yours get south of the border!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Happy and blessed thanksgiving my friends! All those glorious colours sure life the spirit. YAM xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Bird strikes are sad :( We get the occasional sparrow or morning dove fly into our patio door, but we don't have enough room for them to build up enough steam to be seriously hurt. We still rush to the door to make sure...

I didn't realize that ladybugs could bite! Yikes! I haven't seen one in a while.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love all your fall color (colour?).
I got my fourth shot in the middle of June and got covid on July 1!! I'll probably be getting the new vax in a week or so when I get my flu shot. The more covid vax's I'm getting the worse I feel afterwards. Everybody is different!!

Gaelyn said...

Glad you survived the shot and Josephine is getting better. Love JBs new jacket except for the cig butt. Your fall colors are fantastic.

RedPat said...

You are getting beautiful colours. We are being over run by boxelder beetles. They are on every sunny surface so you can't sit out without them landing on you.

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww... very beautiful views...
Happy Thanksgiving

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Love that new jacket - but a cigarette butt in the pocket is awful.
Glad that your vaccine had no ill effects - and thanks for the autumnal glory.

William Kendall said...

Gorgeous fall colours.

Kay said...

I keep forgetting that you have Thanksgiving before us. I hope you've had a wonderful celebration.

How sad for the grouse. I thought at first that it was a hawk. That looks like a big bird.

That's a wonderful looking fall jacket and he looks great in it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer! Lots of fall colour here too, bird feeder went up the other day.

Red said...

lots of brilliant red and orange.

Cloudia said...

Soon the locks and the Rideau Canal will close for the season. Tourists will go home, boats will get on their coats. I traveled from Ottawa to Montreal, one magical summer on a small boat along the canal. Thanks for evoking that memory, and for sharing these beautiful flaming trees that I don't get to see here in the tropics. A beautiful autumn in your wonderful home acreage

Lorrie said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jenn! Beautiful colour in your neck of the woods. Have a good weekend.

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jenn. We have much to be grateful for. We are waiting for the Pfizer spike booster to be available, but first we need to get our flu jab.

Anvilcloud said...

every Canadian man should have a black & red jacket. 😀

Hena Tayeb said...

Good to hear your vaccine side affects were more mild this time around.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Crafty Green Poet said...

We have lots of lovely native ladybugs and a nasty invasive one (the Harlequin, which looks as though it might be the same as your rpoblematic ladybug).

Lowcarb team member said...

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

All the best Jan