Tuesday 18 October 2022

Who needs sleep?

For those of us with insomnia, I recommend podcasts. I've been waking at 4 a.m. for some peculiar reason, likely stress! CBC Radio often broadcasts some great ones at night. There are podcasts that sample podcasts, but that seems silly. I want to grab a pencil and write the name down, but that defeats the purpose of trying to relax and think about something other than this danged proposed gun range. JB is doing some research, people are organizing, writing letters, and we have hope. 

I am escaping it all by listening to the government's Public Order Emergency Commission on the emergency declared last winter. It is live streamed. This is what the government had to enact in order to co-ordinate a police response to the thousands who occupied the city of Ottawa. It is a lesson in municipal/provincial/federal government chains of command. The most striking thing I heard was the group representing the Ottawa and Gatineau hotel owners sent a memo to Ottawa Police stating that the occupiers were looking at booking hotel rooms for a month. This is prior to the Occupation, yet Ottawa police thought it'd all be over on the Monday. This was ignored. The provincial government refused to do anything until they closed the Coutts border. Our premier tried to avoid it. 

Podcasts

When I wake in the night, I listen to the radio. I heard about this story on an overnight podcast: 

Miracle in Galway Bay - Documentary On One Podcast - RTE

 I didn't exactly get back to sleep after listening to this one! 

 If you don't want to listen to a podcast, The Irish Mirror published an article: Rescue in Galway Bay

The RTE documentaries are quite interesting. I heard another one, about the girl found in the GPO in Ireland. RTE do tell good tales. This young woman has some mental health issues, and pretended to be a victim. She was the perpetrator, sucking people in with wild tales. She worked as a nanny and took the children under her care 100 km away. That's when it all hit the fan. Apparently she was active in Canada, as well. According to Wiki: 

In September 2014, now aged 26, Azzopardi walked into a health centre in Calgary in Canada claiming her name was Aurora Hepburn and that she was the victim of a sexual assault and abduction. The police spent an estimated CAD $150,000 (A$400,000),[8] assembling a case, only to be informed of her identity. Azzopardi was charged with public mischief.[9] In December 2014, the Canadian courts sentenced her to two months detention (which she had already served) and then deported her back to Australia a week later, accompanied by a Canadian Border Services Agency, so that she did not disappear en route.[10]

You can read about it here: Documentary On One: Meet the GPO girl with 100 known aliases .


Do you listen to podcasts or the radio anymore? 

11 comments:

Karen said...

I too listen to podcasts when I (frequently) wake at night. My favorites are philosophical lectures. They will put me back to sleep pretty quickly.

Tom said...

...I was always an early riser, but lately I've been sleeping in.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm having issues with podcasts that are broadcast through iTunes...seems Apple thinks I already have 5 computers with my service with them...so I have to discontinue all of them and then re=up the current ones (I know several laptops ago must still be listed). So no podcasts at this time. THere's an Amazon service waiting in the wings that wants to provide the podcasts...but I discontinued it already. I do like Apple, but now am just able to listen to YouTubes, and I usually choose music. Same here, watched the numbers turn to 4:00 am...and 4:30. I think I fell asleep just before the 7:00 alarm...and fortunately got another 40 minutes after that. This morning was the first I got to see through the treetops to the mountain with the sun first hitting the top across the valley.

RedPat said...

We often turn the CBC on during the night and it usually puts me back to sleep. If I don't sleep I usually hear those same podcasts that you mention.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Oh you know I do, with my recent month of Thursdays series... always glad to find more! Azzopardi is well-known in OZ and only last week received yet another court appearance; pseudologia fantastica is the mental diagnosis - compulsive liar with delusions. Fair enough, but now put the woman under some sort of restraint! Happy listening. YAM xx

Divers and Sundry said...

The rain app on my phone helps some. I haven't tried podcasts.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'm back just to say I listened to the RTE podcast and it refers the recent court case - but is an excellent exploration of the background and effects... thanks for that link! Yxx

Elephant's Child said...

I have difficulties sleeping but choose to read rather than listen to/watch anything. And generally fiction.
I hope your insomnia slips away.

Anvilcloud said...

Sue listens to podcasts incessantly at night. Even though she sleeps better than she has a right to, she always has her podcasts on standby and frequently plugs it back in if she rolls over. They can sometimes help me but then when I am falling asleep, I like to stop a podcast, take the ears out, and put the machine aside. That sometimes serves to wake me up. So, I tend not to use them.

Cloudia said...

That's great advice, thank you. I would suggest that maybe you consider some THC edibles. They can be extremely helpful to get a good night's sleep. Please take care of yourself dear. The animals are counting on you, 🥰

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never listened to a podcast. I was surprised about the girl who cost the police due to her false claims. What some people will do to get a bit of attention.