Sunday 23 October 2022

Catching up with the kids!

😷We've booked our flu shots, and that will be great to get. Some locals are antivax, anti-lockdown, conspiracy theorists, but not us! My birth mother had polio, and had a limp that affected her all her life. I only met her the once. It was a good message for me. 

We continue to work on preventing the rezoning for this possible gun club. The phone calls and the emails have slowed down as our township council finish off with school board trustee elections. It has been three weeks on a steep learning curve! Soon we should know the dates of the next steps. 

This is what we have figured out so far. I did this in the new Inspiration 10 app. I love new tools, although I used Inspiration 9 until I upgraded my OS and it wasn't compatible. This is a new one. 

 We talked to Jesse on Saturday. He's been incredibly busy out in Vancouver. They had a great cross country run, Jess worked from home that morning, and watched as Cluny came 30th in 135 gr. 2 kids in the afternoon. She and Josephine, her cousin, had a chat, since Jos (gr. 10) is doing cross country running, as well. All 4 cousins bonded in July during their visit. These are our four granddaughters. All fair-haired and blue-eyed!  


Vancouver and B.C., are great places for culture. Our DIL is doing something I'd never heard of. She is working with Vocal Eye. A trained actor, she has been taking training to watch a live play, and create a monologue and script, to interpret the action on stage for visually impaired people in real time. She wears a special headset and microphone, so as not to disturb people around her, and helps paint a picture of the scene. 

It's been an eventful week here. I asked Caitlin to come over for some daughter ➣ mother mothering! It's great being in the bosom of your family. I really needed it.

We had a very busy day. My SIL helped me install a new system for critter watching. It took awhile, but it is plugged into a socket, no batteries! I'm still fooling around with the app settings, but my M.Ed. is in Curriculum and Technology so I ought to be able to do it now JL installed it.

We vented and ranted and they listened.  It was wonderful. We had ham, roast veggies, and a pie Caitlin had made. Isn't it amazing?


JL helped me with a second project and finished off using the pressure washer on the middle deck for me. I borrowed it from them and I didn't quite do the job. We had so much rain, I wanted to get the algae off the cement. I've had to rake it twice, to get the leaves off, but that is another story! 


The cupboard was my parents, and it has seen better days, but it stores some pots, gardening, and bird feeder supplies nicely.

Isabelle did some homework. Josephine worked on Wordle, Flagle (flags) and the map one, and however many other puzzles her quick mind solves. She went down and fetched the trailcam memory cards for me. (Video of me mulching below!) Isabelle listened to music in the pine tree. Just like the old days. She said she felt so good just getting into the forest. 

Caitlin and I play Scrabble online. It's been a hoot. She's had two BINGOs, and it was 180 / 382. For her! I looked over at her on the couch, and joked about the score. She sheepishly had to tell me she'd just played! I can't find the concede button! What a hoot it all is. We play all the time, and it is a nice connection during busy work weeks.

They went out on the back deck last night to watch and photograph Jupiter. It's all very exciting. 


I konked out first. It's great they can blow up the bed, and make it on their own. I went downstairs to say good night. I was too tired to even read! We were all pretty tired. 

mulching leaves from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

17 comments:

Tom said...

...that pie is a work of art.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great family catch-up! Keep on putting up critter cams...we love them here!

Anvilcloud said...

You’ve caught up well with the family.

Elephant's Child said...

Agreeing with Tom about that pie. Hooray for family.

Nancy J said...

A grand weekend together, the plug in camera, that will be a dream with no batteries. Leaves, I call them a golden carpet outdoors. You did whizz by mulching them.

Gaelyn said...

Very busy catching up. Love that. And the pie is almost too pretty to eat.

Christine said...

Beautiful grandies

RedPat said...

You are lucky to have them nearby.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You got a lot going on!! I used to play online scrabble a lot and loved it and later words with friends. Too much of a time suck.

I love your inspiration app. I used something similar when I was still working. A diagram really helps to explain things.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

you would hate to mess up the pie. so gorgeous!! i agree a true work of art. my childhood friend, she and her mother would make some very similar. i was always amazed!! don't pies smell so yummy. what fun!! ( :

Cloudia said...

You have a beautiful life. Thank you for sharing it with us. Jenn

Red said...

Nice to have all grandchildren together and watch them grow and develop.

William Kendall said...

Quite a pie.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

glad to read you are getting your shots. I hope you get your wish on the zoning ordinance. That pie looks amazing. How decorative and lovely.

Like you, I mulch my leaves. Good for the soil and you don't have to buy mulch.

Vocal Eye sounds like a worthy endeavor.

Lorrie said...

Family times are so satisfying. That pie is a beauty!

DrumMajor said...

Your imprint onto the kids' lives is wonderful. How nice that they've learned to value their time with you, and heading back to the forest for rest. The pie looks too pretty to eat. What talent! Linda in Kasnas

Patio Postcards said...

That is very interesting what your Vancouver DIL is doing for Vocal Eye - well done her.

Yeah to new critter cams.