Monday 10 October 2022

Go, team!


Well, it was a sad day. My late parents' favourite team lost. They had a lot of favourite Toronto teams, though!
 Dad loved his Blue Jays! I used to play softball on two teams. A mixed team and a women's team in Barrhaven. 

I played all the bases, as well as catcher and pitcher. Just where they needed me. You know how summer means a lot of people are away. It helped to be able to cover for them. I dated a professional photographer between husbands. He took my photo. He'd worked with Yousuf Karsh in Ottawa back in the 70s. (Yes, Karsh of the famous Churchill photograph.)

I had to stop playing ball as I kept getting shin splints, and I miss it so much.  We had such fun, and spirit, despite being the middle-aged women having to play against cute young things. 

There was a really cold tournament one fall. It sticks in my mind. We were all frozen, and it was rainy. I guess it builds character. 

The Blue Jays team was created in 1977, and it is a fun place to go.  We haven't been in ages. It's expensive staying in Toronto. Crowds make us nervous these days, and I'm sure we won't go to another. 


Regarding our lady beetles, these are Asian ones, not a native species. They are aggressive. 

JB had a tick on Sunday. We wrapped it in a piece of tape and it is gone. He hasn't had one since May. With the low temperatures, they will soon hibernate under the leaves. 

The colours continue to be revealed, one leaf at a time. 



I had an issue with my trailcam. Really! 






I love watching them. This is so typical of Clover deer, reaching up for leaves.

clover & fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


It is fitting that we usually see turkeys around Thanksgiving!

turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Sorry your team lost! Your Autumn colors are beautiful.
I love the deer and the turkeys. Take care, enjoy your day!

Olga said...

Winning is nice but there is that saying about you can't win 'em all.
Lovely fall pics and video. And I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Nancy J said...

How quickly those leaves are going orange and gold.Hope your hand heals well, did you close the battery lid too hard?

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful, beautiful autumnal colours.

William Kendall said...

There is something very appealing and peaceful about deer in their element.

Tom said...

...a few years ago when we visited Ottawa for the tulip festival we saw the statue of Yousuf Karsh. He did some wonderful work.

Cloudia said...

Thanks Jenn

Karen said...

We found a buck scrape on the trail while walking in the woods today. I moved the trail camera up there. We haven't seen a nice buck in a very long time.

Red said...

We don't have turkeys here but they are an interesting bird.

DrumMajor said...

Pretty trees! (Never seen a deer tinkle before. Not so graceful in that process. Guess we aren't either.) Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

I haven't been to a ball game in ages! Sorry about the Blue Jays! And your color is looking fabulous!

Anvilcloud said...

Daughter 2 played softball and was an excellent pitcher. I helped coach her teams for a number of years.