Monday 24 October 2022

What a weekend!

Silly old Cinnamon. JB got up to powder his nose (or something), and Cinn moved in. 

Our leaves are still leaving. The catalpa has a few to go and then I'll climb the ladder and check the new eavestrough. It's been a lovely few days, with temperatures around 20 by the afternoon. Great for outside work. Poor peeps on the prairies have had 20 cm snow. We've three frogs in the goldfish pond.

I love snakes!  This one thought it might hide. It's a ribbon snake. Their colours are wonderful. I moved it out of my way.


Picture me, atop the shed roof. I cleaned out all the eavestrough. There were things growing in it, as well as bugs! It explains why the cardinal likes to hang here so much! I had to scrub my nails. 

I made my famous meatloaf last week. I poured the excess into a pop can and put it out on the back deck to solidify. Of course, I forgot about it. Some critter took the can down the upper deck steps, down the middle deck steps, and laid it beside the lower deck. There were no teeth marks. I am wondering if it was Oregano, our frequent visitor.  Butch would have ravaged it. Butch stole my SIL's beer and just crunched through the can when they were camping awhile back.

I forgot about the 2nd hornet nest. The first one I noticed is really falling apart.

We had such a nice day Sunday. JL made some lovely croissants for breakfast that morning. They buy the prepared dough from a place near his office, and let it rise overnight. I only had ONE egg left (JB cannot have them), and he brushed them with that. They were golden and lovely. 

We finished up the morning, they packed. Isabelle tool some photos while we chatted, saying our goodbyes.

Jean-Luc, our SIL, has been amazing helping us with one thing and another. He has lived experience with politics. I invited them over as we needed some parenting here during our conflict. When I emailed the kids, telling them about this gun range situation, JL wrote some comforting words:

You and Grampa are going good work and clearly are not alone. Remember to stay calm and if you feel something boiling up inside to let Brian know and go for a walk. And vice versa. 

Extremism feeds on extreme reactions. What pisses them off the most is relentless calm level headed persistence. It starves them of the energy they need and makes them look unhinged. 

Don’t give up. But stay in areas where you can move the cause forward, and avoid situations that make you blow up. 

Joseph Brian wanted to give his Grandfather's level to JL. Joe was very attached to his grandfather. He and his mom moved in with his grandparents on the farm when he was 2 years old. They lived on a farm in the 50s, that could have been set in the 40s. No hydro, no plumbing, a working farm with Belgium horses.

Jean-Luc has been incredibly supportive and a huge part of our family.  

JB estimates that this level is about 100 years old. It was a lovely moment. 



JL was amazing getting the new camera up.



What a weekend. I'm feeling better!

16 comments:

Tom said...

...it's easy to pack your weekend full.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Something to be said for role reversal, then! My friends up in Quebec are having an increased population of mice problems and wonder if it is the unseasonal weather that is bringing them onto their property. Have you noticed more rodents than usual? Jus' wonderin'. YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

I gave my grandfather's level to one of my sons...hope he still has it. Nice to pass on good tools. Ha ha, I have to laugh at what they will pass to their grandchildren...old USB to other connection wires, CD's that have no players, tons of photos on various thumb drives!

RedPat said...

It was a good time to have nice company for the weekend.

Mae Travels said...

Having your family around you sounds wonderful. You all sound as if you support one another so beautifully.

best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. You are braver than I am to be climbing up to check and clear that area.

Jenn Jilks said...

There is definitely more rodent action, YAM!
Everyone is finding where they will live over winter. The chipmunk tunnel was a prime case!

Nancy J said...

the level, Hugh has one that was my Dad's, and is a treasure. Love the garden views, and your great weekend, a lovely start to nearly winter days.

Elephant's Child said...

It does sound like a lovely, and productive weekend. And what a wonderful (and meaningful) gift to give JL.

Hena Tayeb said...

You are a brave one climbing up on the sheds roof.

William Kendall said...

My dad had a level. No idea what became of it.

Lowcarb team member said...

Having family around and their help and support is so good ...

Gosh! No way would I climb on a shed roof!
That is a beautiful Cardinal, what a lovely colour they are.

Sending my good wishes.

All the best Jan

Lorrie said...

Jean-Luc's advice is sound.

River said...

I won't be cleaning out any eavestroughs here. We call them gutters and I'm in a two storey building, so there's no way I'm getting up there! It's supposed to be taken care of by maintenance on a yearly basis anyway. It just isn't. I think it's four years now since I saw and scaffolding or ladders.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend with your family. I saw a similar snake on the trail recently. Cute kitty! Take care, enjoy your day!

Anvilcloud said...

Company, help and weather.